Grinding in Engine, please help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding in Engine, please help!!

I've been making a couple 3 hours drives the past few days and yesterday I noticed a grinding sound coming from the engine. I haven't noticed any loss of power or excess shaking from the engine so I don't know if I broke a rod, but I checked all the belts and they're fine, I don't have a vacuum leak, all of the rocker arms and camshaft appear fine. I haven't seen any leaks and all the fluids are clean and full. I have no idea what it could be, below I attached a youtube video of the engine and a link to a high quality audio file so y'all can get a good idea of what I'm hearing. The interesting part is that the grinding goes away around 2k. Is i possible that the transmission is going? It's not slipping but it's an auto so it could be dying anyways. Need help quick! I'm leaving for a 10 hour drive home to DC on monday and I have almost no tools to work with.

Here is a link to the WAV file, I don't think I can embed an audio player on here.
    http://www.inspiredrevolutions.com/b...o/R09_0003.WAV
    Last edited by TexasTerp; 08-22-2009, 07:55 PM.
    stephenbrody.com

Check your valve clearences

Comment

my water pump made a grinding noise when it was about to fail. didn't sound like your video though.

Comment

Timing belt ready to take a dump?
        89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
        E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

Originally posted by bmwpower View Post
          thats how mine died! :(

Comment

Originally posted by namsayin View Post
            Yes, me too once.

Time to dismantle and check, OP.

Comment

Originally posted by namsayin View Post
              Yes, me too once.

Time to dismantle and check, OP.
              Well then I'm fucked, All I have is a few screw drivers and my socket set. All of my main tools are at home. The best part is I know I don't have any time whatsoever to change the timing belt.

There any chance I could make it almost 500 miles to DC? Otherwise I'm surely fucked. I may have to stop in Boston and find a mechanic. son of a bitch!
              stephenbrody.com

Comment

take distributor cap/rotor off and top timing belt cover off.. inspect belt asap. I think it's lost tension.
                Build Threads:
                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Get to an auto parts store and buy some cheap tools.
                  I would not chance driving it that far.
                  Mine started making noise, I pulled over and checked it out. Was worried shitless so I called to tow truck. Sure enough the idiot shop who did the timing belt job didn't replace one of the $10 pulleys (this was a CRX) and the bearing was seizing.

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                    take distributor cap/rotor off and top timing belt cover off.. inspect belt asap. I think it's lost tension.
                    +1. that should be somewhat easy.

Comment

Where are you located? Surely, some guys have to be closeby to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                        Will do, but if it's lost its tension wouldn't that cause it fail just as if it snapped? Or would it still be in the correct position on the pulleys?

Get to an auto parts store and buy some cheap tools.
                        I would not chance driving it that far.
                        I'm in Norwich Vermont, the closest auto parts store that I know of is an hour and a half away in either Burlington VT or Manchester NH.
                        stephenbrody.com

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTerp View Post
                          Will do, but if it's lost its tension wouldn't that cause it fail just as if it snapped? Or would it still be in the correct position on the pulleys?

I'm in Norwich Vermont, the closest auto parts store that I know of is an hour and a half away in either Burlington VT or Manchester NH.
                          Christ. That's far. Post up in the regional area and see if someone closeby can help.
                          If not, and you do chance it, you're more than welcome to stop by my place in NJ as a checkpoint. Even if you do get it fixed in VT.

Comment

Christ. That's far. Post up in the regional area and see if someone closeby can help.
                            If not, and you do chance it, you're more than welcome to stop by my place in NJ as a checkpoint. Even if you do get it fixed in VT.
                            Thanks man I would greatly appreciate it. Upon further inspection (ie pulling the distributor cap off) the timing belt has lost it's tension, the spring broke. I'm approximately 20 mins from Hanover, NH I'm going to drive it in a stay at a friends house then get it towed to a BMW Dealership in the morning. Hopefully I can convince them to finish the job that day, although who knows, I'll probably have to have them order a damn spring tensioner and keep me here a few extra days! This fucking sucks.

Theoretically I could do the job myself since I have my full socket set and screwdrivers I just have no way of getting parts.
                            stephenbrody.com

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTerp View Post
                              Thanks man I would greatly appreciate it. Upon further inspection (ie pulling the distributor cap off) the timing belt has lost it's tension, the spring broke. I'm approximately 20 mins from Hanover, NH I'm going to drive it in a stay at a friends house then get it towed to a BMW Dealership in the morning. Hopefully I can convince them to finish the job that day, although who knows, I'll probably have to have them order a damn spring tensioner and keep me here a few extra days! This fucking sucks.

Theoretically I could do the job myself since I have my full socket set and screwdrivers I just have no way of getting parts.
                              I'm pretty sure I have a new spring, but round trip from NH to NJ might be pushing it for your friend. Just thinking.... Let me know if you wanna to that.

Good luck either way.

Listening to the movie again, it almosts sounds like it HAS skipped a tooth. Be careful!

Comment

Working...
                              X