Your Opinion On This Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Opinion On This Price

So, I need to get my timing belt done, and I just got a quote from the shop I would most likely take it to.

$420 for labor
    $200 for parts
    Could be more or less, this was just off the top of his head.

Replaces:
    Timing Belt Tensioner
    Water Pump
    Thermostat
    Accessory Belts
    Coolant Flush
    Cam Seal which is leaking
    Upper and lower rad hoses if they need to be replaced

I believe that was it. So around $620 for the package, do you guys think it's worth it? DIY isn't really an option. I would, but I don't wanna risk messing up the motor without another one to drop in.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
    Originally posted by DTM190
    "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

If you have the time and tools then might as well try it. :/

Hell, that's the best way to learn. r3v will help you as you go.
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

DIY is easy-peasy, at least I thought so. That's not a bad deal. If you trust the guy and don't have the time yourself, go for it.

I was kinda surprised how little work it really is. Just take your time, follow the Bentley, and make sure it's all lined up.
      '89 325i track sloot
      '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

See if he can knock down the price if he just did the timing belt, water pump and cam seal. Other things are just too easy to pay someone to do. You could literally pick up a set of tools at your local wally world for $20 and change belts/hoses and for sure, thermostat???

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
        So, I need to get my timing belt done, and I just got a quote from the shop I would most likely take it to.

$420 for labor
        $200 for parts
        Could be more or less, this was just off the top of his head.

Replaces:
        Timing Belt Tensioner
        Water Pump
        Thermostat
        Accessory Belts
        Coolant Flush
        Cam Seal which is leaking
        Upper and lower rad hoses if they need to be replaced

I believe that was it. So around $620 for the package, do you guys think it's worth it? DIY isn't really an option. I would, but I don't wanna risk messing up the motor without another one to drop in.

'89 325i - Totaled... good bye my love...
        '87 327i budget stroker - SOLD!!!
        '92 240sx - ca18det powered drift toy - SOLD!!!
        '89 325i - coupe - NEW daily
        '96 Audi A6 Quattro- Grocery getter/baby hauler
        '99 Busa - weekend wheelie monster

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I don't think the price will change since it's a package they offer. It might though... As for DIY, I know I could do it, but I'm really limited on time lately and don't wanna risk breaking the motor. At least if something happens after I pay someone to do it, I have someone to point the finger at.

"fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

It only took my lazy butt a day to do it, including drinking with my buddies, waking up at 11 am, and generally not being productive.

You'll feel a lot better about yourself if you do it. If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself! :)
            '89 325i track sloot
            '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

I know I know... Give me a breakdown on what you paid for parts and how much time it actually took.... I'd like to give it a try, but a few people have told me not to risk it since it has to be precise or else the motor is fucked

Comment

if you aren't very confident with the wrenches i would say just go for it and pay the guy. He will get done in 4-6 hours what would take you 8-10 hours and a few hundred dollars in tools. Taking off the front crank bolt with no impact is not easy for the first time mechanic. And once its all done you won't have to worry about anything but brake pads and oil changes for the next 60k miles.
                97 tacoma 5 spd 4 cylinder
                2001 330ci 5 speed
                83 733i 5 speed, (FS)

Comment

Is it 60k or 50k? I need an overwhelming opinion on this one. I thought it was 50k and I'm at like 49,xxx so I figured it would need it soon. If I can wait a little longer that would be great since cash isn't exactly abundant right now

Comment

A timing belt should last 60k but it isn't a bad thing to change it early either. Elephant Motorsports sells a kit for about $130 shipped (that's what I paid a few months ago...) with all the belts (Conti-tech), Cam/Intermediate Shaft seals (Conti), water-pump (Graf) and T-belt tensioner (OEM). Took me and a helper about 5hrs +/- to do the whole shebang as well as an oil change and trany+diff fluid change the last time I did it. But then again I have all the tools (including the handy special fan bolt wrenches).
                    If you have tools available to you there is no reason why you can't DIY, especially if all it will cost you is parts and a 6-pack and pizza for a helper.
                    The quoted price ain't bad, but you probably won't need a thermostat or radiator hoses unless they haven't been changed in a LONG time.

1984 Hennarot 325e - 1990 Brillantrot M3 - 1938 Buick Special Business Coupe

Comment

it's 60K, and I never took off the front crank bolt, just the 6 around the main pulley. I probably worked in the garage for about 8 hrs. make sure you've got red locktite for the pulley bolts. Blunt can get you a good deal on the timing belt and WP. I paid about $80-90 for a contiental timing belt and tensioner, figure another $30 for belts, $10 for the t-stat, $5 for the cam seal, and $50 for the water pump, so about $190 for the parts, maybe less. Don't cheap out on the belt/tensioner.
                      '89 325i track sloot
                      '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Well I believe the recommended interval is 5 yr/50k... But that is preventative maintenance. If you like playing it safe, go ahead and replace it. If you like living on the edge, the belt is probably good for several thousand more miles... I replace mine on time just because I'm cautious and it is my only car. Good luck with whichever path you choose to take.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm going to call back probably tomorrow and get an exact quote w/ parts and labor, I'll post here and wait. I'm not exactly in a hurry to do it, but it is my DD so I don't wanna be stuck without a car. My old man is a mechanic, but already said he doesn't wanna help cause he is familiar with chains, not belts, and doesn't wanna mess anything up. He suggests taking it somewhere and paying someone so I know it was done correctly. After I get an exact quote, and some more input I'll decide... Don't really know any locals in the BMW world so help might be hard to come by.

Comment

Thats not a bad price if its a reputable shop and they are using OEM parts. IMO, theres nothing wrong with paying someone to do something youre not comfortable with, but then again, thats what i get paid for :)

Comment

Well, I know I could do it, and even though I do all my own stuff, I'm usually a little unsure afterward if I did it right. If I don't die, I figure I did it right... and I'm still kickin. My biggest enemy right now is time and $$

Comment

Working...
                              X