Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tucked DBs - How to avoid the gap between bumper and moulding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tucked DBs - How to avoid the gap between bumper and moulding?

You guys that tuck the DBs....how do you avoid a gap between the bumper and the black moulding? Some Ive seen tucked dont have the gap, so it seems and others do. I really dont like the gap, it looks unfinished.

Is there some trick, or something you can use to fill the gap?

Any idea would be appreciated. Im buying a 87 325is and might tuck. But not if its going to leave a gap.

Thanks.... you guys rock.
    sigpic 1987 325is

you need to grind down your molding... tucked in bumper touches molding underneath and that's what causing molding to come up.

Comment

Aptyp...thanks, but I guess I have to look at it to understand that. Any pics or DIY on this anywhere.

OK OK ...ILL search.. later.
      sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Too much tuck looks retarted. Get yourself some plastic bumper shocks, bolt those to your DBs, and call it a day.
        Yours truly,
        Rich
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Rigmaster
        you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

I assume you mean to replace the stock bumper shocks with plastic bumper shocks? If IM going to do all that wouldnt it be just as easy to do a plastic bumper swap? Have to remove the DBs ... to do that right?
          sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Plastic bumper swap can be some big $$$$$. The shocks you can get pretty cheap if you know where to look.

Comment

i have shocks and brackets for plastic bumpers. Eventually I'll find bumpers :)

... and sell them

Comment

Ive got some 88 shocks, for a mild tuck.

Comment

Just don't tuck 100%, then shoot lag bolts into the bumper shocks.

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I painted my DB's black and tucked them - I think they looked better stock.
                    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

I took the shrouds off and went with maximum tuckage, it looks alright on the front and very unfinished on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                        i have shocks and brackets for plastic bumpers. Eventually I'll find bumpers :)

... and sell them
                        How about you just sell me the shocks and brackets and we call it done? :P
                        "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"-Colin McCrae

Comment

If you have black shrouds and not painted body colored ones, a bit of heat applied to them will help them "wrap" around the bumper but you need to be careful as too much heat will damage them.

Bumper shocks from a vert should also work for a partial tuck.
                          sigpic
                          1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
                          Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
                          Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

I did the tuck the other day on the front and was not pleased with the result. I actually untucked the shocks and bolted them back in their original length. Just didn't look good, mostly because of the gap between the bumper and trim. Quite a disappointment after getting sprayed with that nasty oil too. Might give it another shot after reading some of this but probably not.
                            '87 325e
                            sigpic

Comment

moldings can be tweaked to fit better. just play with their alignment before tightening down the bolts. the front works pretty well on its own, the back needs some finesse. i could tell you exactly what i did, but making you figure it out is better.

no gaps(except where the moldings are wavy), bumpers fully tucked:

Comment

Working...
                              X