reverse hitting console after new bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reverse hitting console after new bushings

Hey guys I was just wondering how many of you have a shifter that hits the center console when going into reverse?

I bought all new shifter bushings except the bushing connected to the rear of carrier.

I replace the front console bushing with a new oem rubber bushing, not an aftermarket piece

I bought a Z3 1.9 shift lever, new shifter bushings and a new trans mounts.

I just assumed after all new bushings it would stop hitting the console.

Some guys have mentioned, that they purchased aftermarket delrin carrier bushings and that has fixed the problem.

There is no way an e30 new from the dealer, when shifted into reverse would hit the center console.

Why after replacing all of the components there is still contact with the center console when shifted into reverse?

discuss
    Last edited by iwantspeed; 09-30-2009, 08:10 PM.

-
    Project
    Parts for Sale
    Feedback
    YouTube Channel

It does in my car. Let us know if that fixes it, I am tired of people putting my car into first when I tell them far left until it feels like it broke something.
    sigpic

Comment

Mine hits also. And I need new bushings

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Originally posted by noE30 View Post

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
        2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

What are signs of bad bushings, doesn't seem like anything is wrong with mine.
          sigpic

Comment

haha when the shifter is loosey goosey and you start missing shifts cause the bushings are so bad...just did mine a month or two ago..big big improvement...and mine also still hits the console.guess thats just the nature of the beast old and you cant do anything about it...the rest of the play still left in the shifter is all internal transmission and cant be fixed.

Comment

Mine hits bad. OP, your grammer is mostly undeciperable.
              sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

I have no such problem with mine. I've used the 1.9 shifter with my m10 and all new shifter hardware with the metal console and currently using the same shifter with new hardware and the late model g260 shift console. Does not hit the console in reverse.
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Ok then, my bushings are perfect, the PO did a bunch of stuff to the car right before I got it and I hardly ever drive my car. Shifter still hits though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e34john View Post
                    It does in my car. Let us know if that fixes it, I am tired of people putting my car into first when I tell them far left until it feels like it broke something.
                    mine hits, its annoying I will update this if I find a solution

Originally posted by noE30 View Post
                    mine hits after new bushings:hitler:
                    but it does feel way better with a short shifter and new shift knob
                    Originally posted by e34john View Post
                    What are signs of bad bushings, doesn't seem like anything is wrong with mine.
                    when downshifting and taking a turn, and you go from 3rd to 2nd and you can't find second!
                    that was a combination of shitty trans mounts and sloppy vagina shifter

Originally posted by lola26 View Post
                    haha when the shifter is loosey goosey and you start missing shifts cause the bushings are so bad...just did mine a month or two ago..big big improvement...and mine also still hits the console.guess thats just the nature of the beast old and you cant do anything about it...the rest of the play still left in the shifter is all internal transmission and cant be fixed.
                    yes sir and it will be fixed

Originally posted by txtorquemade View Post
                    Mine hits bad. OP, your grammer is mostly undeciperable.

mine hits it and moves the console, I apologize for the shitty grammer I edited the original post.

-
                    Project
                    Parts for Sale
                    Feedback
                    YouTube Channel

Comment

I rebuilt my 87 325is with a Z3 1.9 shifter and all new bushings, as well as Delrin bushings for the shift arm carrier (the one on top of the trans). My shifter does not hit the center console.

I rebuilt my buddies 85 eta, Z3 1.9, with the sheet metal console, and all new bushings, and it hits the console. I blame it on the stupid design of the sheet metal bushings. Those things allow way too much play. I think it would be best without a bushing at all, just bolted right to the trans.

Comment

check your motor and tranny mounts

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by tjmonsen5 View Post
                          I rebuilt my 87 325is with a Z3 1.9 shifter and all new bushings, as well as Delrin bushings for the shift arm carrier (the one on top of the trans). My shifter does not hit the center console.

I rebuilt my buddies 85 eta, Z3 1.9, with the sheet metal console, and all new bushings, and it hits the console. I blame it on the stupid design of the sheet metal bushings. Those things allow way too much play. I think it would be best without a bushing at all, just bolted right to the trans.
                          Oh yea, forgot to mention that both of our cars recieved new trans mounts and guibos during the process.

Comment

After doing some research, I bent my Z3 3.0 rod in a press before installation. I probably added 15 degrees to it (looked like a lot). It is perfectly centered in the console now with plenty of room in all gears.

Comment

Originally posted by tjmonsen5 View Post

I have to disagree with you on that one, you must have done something wrong there. If you replace the spring / metal cup with two plastic cups after sanding one down a bit, the metal console has LESS shifter play than the aluminum one. The metal console has 3 points of attachment vs. the 2 of the aluminum one.
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                              X