How good is your e30 as a DD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good is your e30 as a DD?

I'm considering streamlining a bit and paring the garage down to one car, so I ask you guys that use your e30's as your primary car how they perform? Here's some background to clarify a bit.

The car I'm working with was pretty beat up when i got it, but has been driving like a champ after a heavy round of parts & maintenance including timing belt & water pump, valve adjustment, oil change, air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump relay, coolant temp sensor, cps, and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting or too lazy to type.

If i do sell my other cars it'll finance getting my BMW up to snuff, which will include a bit more maintenance, brakes, wheels & tires (summer & winter), new upolstery, suspension and a little bit of cosmetic stuff (though I'm enjoying the ratty look of the car right now.) I'll be doing all the work.

I do have to drive this car in the snow, in a mountain town. Lots of snow. Should I just man up and deal with it? I'd rather not r3v the car driving over to Copper on a pow day. The other obstacle i see is the mountains, the are quite big here. Mostly I just drive around Grand County which is hilly at worst, but the drive back to my place from Denver is essentially 1.5 hours of steady to steep-as-fuck uphill, and I do that frequently. Is my little m20 gonna crap out on me? I could buy a Subaru wagon or something of that ilk to step up when the e30 can't, but that would just defeat the purpose of selling out the garage, at least kind of.

So does the e30 really hold up to that kind of use, or will I hate my life? Sell me on the reliability of this great little car!
    Originally posted by Dozyproductions
    You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

I drive my E30 year round, 4-5 days a week. Never once has it broken down on me, keep up small maintenance and clean it up every few weeks to check conditions of parts and your good to go.

7speedshop.com

Comment

I drive it every day. To work and to school and to wherever I want to go. I live in New England and suffer the snow with studded snow tires. No problem here and I live on a hill. To into my driveway with 4 inches of unplowed snow on the streets is remarkable for a little sedan. Just maintain everything at the suggested miles and the car is a great daily.

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
      No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

pretty good. my parts are is fairly squared away for the next 60,000 miles.
        Toyota Pickup

Comment

M20s have enough power to climb hills, especially the eta, I love the torque!
          If you really have a lot of snow, throw a few bricks in the trunk, put on chains and you are good to go.

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
          2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

It's absolutely perfect.
            Chris | Debut Thread | Night Shots | Snow Shots |Youtube |60-130 |IP S52 91 325is

Comment

I have comfort seats in my E30 and they suck so bad, I want to roll my car off a cliff.
              Shitty seats aside, the car's for awesome for DD

Comment

I DD mine and it's never let me down.

Comment

Every Day up and down the NJ turnpike 90 mi roundtrip, avg speed 75 MPH, 25 MPG

cant beat it

put about 22k on it in this fashion so far
                  88 325ic ~~~> Rusty and ugly
                  85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

Comfort seats are pretty bad. I DD my M10 everyday in a hilly area so I'm always in it and prolonging the rev's. 85k on it so it won't crap out anytime soon but it does the job just fine.
                    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Hah, mine is a terrible daily driver, the suspension is too stiff, no power steering, the engine is awful in traffic, its loud, not comfortable for long drives at all.

Its a weekend toy :)

Comment

my back hurts...but maybe that's the FDR talking.

Comment

great
                          sigpic

I wear a suit, I do coke, and I ski...:D
                          That's why I drive a BMW

Comment

mines swapped, no clutch fan, low and stiff, with no power steering or AC and its the best daily i could ask for. I dont just daily the car, i enjoy driving it everytime i sit down.

and the girl friend loves it, she just wishes she could see over the dash...

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

I drive my everyday, drove it for 5 hours straight no problems at all. Only problem I'm having is sometimes the RPM kicks on just a little to late. Its probably a lose connection but other then that A+++

Comment

Working...
                              X