Flip out Monitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flip out Monitors?

Anyone currently using these flip out head units? I've searched in older threads that some units hit the steering wheel stalk when it is coming out but I haven't heard a lot about it.

Thats pretty much the jist of it..

Get one of those 316i panels or just use a regualr HU like the rest of us... i dont see the need for a flip out

Comment

I kinda want to reuse my flip out head unit from my e46 because it has nav in it. but if what you say is true i'll probably sell it and get a portable gps

Comment

i use a flip out touch screen monitor. use it for tuning or for playing video games or watching movies. i use a right hand drive HVAC panel so the OBC is on the other side of the radio

Comment

Well ive never tried one. But this is what ive heard. The 316i panel moves the radio though, and it might clear. I think someone on here did that

Comment

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
            i use a flip out touch screen monitor. use it for tuning or for playing video games or watching movies. i use a right hand drive HVAC panel so the OBC is on the other side of the radio
            you have any pictures of that setup?

Im debating whether I should go the 316 route because I still want to keep to OBC unit

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
              you have any pictures of that setup?

Im debating whether I should go the 316 route because I still want to keep to OBC unit
              the 316 deletes it so the right hand one would probably be better

Comment

You can also shorten the wiper stalk.
                1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                  the 316 deletes it so the right hand one would probably be better
                  bingo. if you want the OBC, you either have to use the RHD, or modify the stalk. no pictures at the moment

Comment

Anyone currently using these flip out head units? I've searched in older threads that some units hit the steering wheel stalk when it is coming out but I haven't heard a lot about it.
                    I have the Kenwood KVT-512, you will have to bend the stalk but it is no biggie.

I really like my unit because you can also program the LED color to match the rest of the orange red dash light in the car.

Comment

I kinda want to reuse my flip out head unit from my e46 because it has nav in it. but if what you say is true i'll probably sell it and get a portable gps
                      Just bend the stalk. Now that I have had the Kenwood KVT-512 with the NAV, I can't imagine driving my E30 without it.

I think the replacement model is the KVT-514. The flipout makes the head unit very non descript and blends in better with the classic interior of the E30.

Comment

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
                        I wish I had thought of this before I modified the stalk...

BTW, I just had to buy a new HVAC panel since my 21 year old panel cracked, apparently BMW jacked the price up to something absurd like over 400 MSRP.

I was able to get it online from a dealer's old stock and got it for the old 250 bucks price.

Comment

Originally posted by junker87 View Post
                          I wish I had thought of this before I modified the stalk...

BTW, I just had to buy a new HVAC panel since my 21 year old panel cracked, apparently BMW jacked the price up to something absurd like over 400 MSRP.

I was able to get it online from a dealer's old stock and got it for the old 250 bucks price.
                          or buy one used for like $10.

i can't believe you paid that much.
                          http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Console mounted screen with nav FTW.

Flip outs scare me as its a little moving part that you are pushing on all the time. yikes!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by daniel View Post
                              or buy one used for like $10.

i can't believe you paid that much.
                              It's really not that big of a deal.

Let's just say that used parts have not done that well for me, and I rather pay it once and be done.

Comment

Working...
                              X