89 325i, to fix or scrap

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • new2bmw
    replied
    problem

    heres the issue i have. i have 3 babies, 1,2 and 3 and it will be a long time till i can afford a bimmer for $3000. i was thinking that i could take a few years, cut/sandblast all rust and repaint. on the other hand if you have seen someone try this before and fail let me know. i was just thinking i could handle small amounts of money over a long time but not huge amounts of money all at once. I dont mind doing the labor, i love these cars so no issue there. i am torn.

    Leave a comment:


  • red325
    replied
    Part it out, make some cash, and get a cleaner e30 for a better starting point.

    Leave a comment:


  • AndrewBird
    replied
    Considering how many clean e30's there are, I'd say part it and find a better car. You could make at least $1000 off of it and will spend WAY more then a clean e30 is worth fixing this one. Rust repair and paint get expensive QUICK.

    Leave a comment:


  • new2bmw
    started a topic 89 325i, to fix or scrap

    89 325i, to fix or scrap

    Hey everyone. OK, I have an 89 325i and its in rough shape. I want to begin a restoration so i thought i would use your collective knowledge to ask where or if I should I start? Any hints, advice? Not really wanting to modify the car as of yet, just clean, repair and get it to almost like new condition.
    Here are some pics. The sub frame rust has me the most concerned, the hole is about the size of a golf ball in the same spot on both sides. had the local collision guy come over and he said it could go on the frame machine and be fixed for $500.
    I believe that most of you will say, " what the hell are you thinking" lol. Well i picked the car up for $500 and I don't have the cash to buy another, so I need to take my time and work with what I have' If you guys think it is worthwhile.
    cheers guys
    Larry







    this rusted frame is the only thing that has me really worried


    Last edited by new2bmw; 10-21-2009, 07:19 PM. Reason: added pictures
Working...