Grand Wagoneer and E30 Cross Country!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand Wagoneer and E30 Cross Country!

Alright so almost cross country. My buddy and I are leaving for Wisconsin tomorrow in a 89 Jeep grand Wagoneer we bought on Saturday for 1,600 bucks. The goal is to tow a Spitfire back to Richmond VA. The edirty is the support vehicle(for half way at least). We have a couple updates leading up to tomorrow up already and will update every 3 hours or so once we push off. Should be pretty entertaining, the guy I'm going with is a hilarious writer.

Its not a store, it does look like one though. Don't be fooled

hope they have gas stations ever 100 miles or so along the way. Those wagoneers are true guzzlers!

Comment

Yes they are. If it has the 360... it gets a solid 10mpg or something like that.

Comment

tools

bring: extra gas cans. the post is right about bad mileage, plus they run out before they get to the bottom of the tank. strap the gas cans to the roof, the rear window leaks fumes. if you have a trailer obviously put them there.

bring alternator belts, it is two belts, try to get a matched set. dont put them on now, they will just stretch. but bring spares and tools.

bring a small pillow for your back, the lumbar support sucks, and the seatback doesnt recline.

make sure the jack works, they get rusty.

you need a bunch of open end wrenches, a phillips, some wire to bypass various things, vice grips because you always need vice grips

if you set up the cargo, one guy can sleep in back while the other drives

Jay
        Last edited by Hellabad; 11-11-2009, 09:58 PM.
        Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
        Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
        Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by Hellabad View Post
          bring: extra gas cans. the post is right about bad mileage, plus they run out before they get to the bottom of the tank. strap the gas cans to the roof, the rear window leaks fumes. if you have a trailer obviously put them there.

bring alternator belts, it is two belts, try to get a matched set. dont put them on now, they will just stretch. but bring spares and tools.

bring a small pillow for your back, the lumbar support sucks, and the seatback doesnt recline.

make sure the jack works, they get rusty.

you need a bunch of open end wrenches, a phillips, some wire to bypass various things, vice grips because you always need vice grips

if you set up the cargo, one guy can sleep in back while the other drives

Jay
          Thanks for the hints guys, I didn't think about spare belts that's not a bad idea. The gas millage is horrible and tank is undersized. Last week we got around 8-10 mpg on the highway! Luckly we have some good stops planned though including some college towns. So it won't be all business

Comment

Can't wait for updates...

Reminds me of my '79 Suburban (350 with a STICK!!).
            Why did I sell that truck? I had adventures like this all the time.
            Slicktop City!

Comment

We're half way. It's amazing how different American cars and German cars were back in the 80s. The jeep has been a train wreck.

Comment

hahahaha how many breakdowns/issues so far?
                Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

good stuff !
                  -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by Streichholzschächtelchen View Post
                    hahahaha how many breakdowns/issues so far?
                    The jeep has been terrible. Interior trim is falling off everywhere, the rear winshield wiper just fell off, the car is overheating constantly, and the rear lights are out. Stick with the Germans. The e30 had a blow out though, so even it wasn't perfect

Comment

Working...
                    X