Importing a car from Europe to USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing a car from Europe to USA

Wondering if anyone knows any websites that has vehicles to Import or if they can locate vehicles to import to the USA from germany.

Also wondering if anyone has any experience doing this and what type of general costs I am going to be looking at. I've really wanted to import an Audi RS2 or S2 within the next year or so.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

00 Audi S4 2.7tt 6MT
    02 Audi S6 Avant 4.2

Building your own here will be much more cost effective. Check out motorgeek.com for some build threads.

Comment

You have to get it federalized if it doesn't already comply, pay tax, pay like the 3 grand shipping fee+1500 land shipping from the port, any broker fees.

somebody told me going through canada is easier. i don't know if that is true.

quick link from google http://www.money-zine.com/Financial-...mporting-Cars/

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
      PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

The only guy I've had personal experience with is Will Zaraska at www.willz.ca

Will is a long-time BMW CC and BMW CCA instructor and has been importing Euro Bimmers from Germany to Canada and the USA for years. He's the guy I went to when I was looking to import a Lancer Evo II GSR from the UK a couple of years back.
        sigpic
        1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
        2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Originally posted by E30FourLife View Post
          Wondering if anyone knows any websites that has vehicles to Import or if they can locate vehicles to import to the USA from germany.

Also wondering if anyone has any experience doing this and what type of general costs I am going to be looking at. I've really wanted to import an Audi RS2 or S2 within the next year or so.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
          A friend of mine imported a Skyline from Japan to Canada and then brought it in to the US. It was a lot of leg work but its much easier to get a car into canada. With an s2 you may even be able to throw some plates on it and pretend its a quattro coupe for a day since it looks almost identical.

I believe the total cost be payed to get the car from Japan to Vancouver and then from there to montreal was like $3500 including everything with an inclosed trailer the whole way across canada.

Keep me updated on your progress as I have always wanted to bring an S2 stateside myself. Myabe we could get a 2 for 1 deal lol.
          e30sport.net
          '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
          '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
          '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
            A friend of mine imported a Skyline from Japan to Canada and then brought it in to the US. It was a lot of leg work but its much easier to get a car into canada. With an s2 you may even be able to throw some plates on it and pretend its a quattro coupe for a day since it looks almost identical.

I believe the total cost be payed to get the car from Japan to Vancouver and then from there to montreal was like $3500 including everything with an inclosed trailer the whole way across canada.

Keep me updated on your progress as I have always wanted to bring an S2 stateside myself. Myabe we could get a 2 for 1 deal lol.
            haha I will keep you updated, as of right now I'm just doin the research

00 Audi S4 2.7tt 6MT
            02 Audi S6 Avant 4.2

Comment

What year is the car?

http://www.europeanplates.com Build and Preview plates
              R3V Discount Code = R3V2012

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post
                You have to get it federalized if it doesn't already comply, pay tax, pay like the 3 grand shipping fee+1500 land shipping from the port, any broker fees.

somebody told me going through canada is easier. i don't know if that is true.

quick link from google http://www.money-zine.com/Financial-...mporting-Cars/
                Ocean freight alone won't be that much. Roughly around 1.5k or less but there other charges involve when ship via sea. Basically you need a 20' container. So you have to shop around for a 20' container shipping prices from either freigt forwarder or NVOCC since you can not directly deal with shipping line. They won't take your booking just for 1 container.
                1. Delivery charges to the origin port.
                2. Handling charges at the origin port.
                3. Documantation fee.
                4. Ocean freight cost.
                5. Destination Handling charges (DTHC).
                6. Customs charges (Examination fee, if customs decide to open and examin your container).
                7. Trucking charges from the port to you door.

Oh and the most important thing is you need to find a good trucking guys who can actually load you car into the container properly and tie it to the container securly. Usually the freight forrwarding company can take care of everything for you so you do not have to worry about anything. You just have to pay only the FF.
                Last edited by damith; 11-30-2009, 07:03 PM.
                [All the Bronzit haters]

Comment

Originally posted by europeanplates View Post
                  What year is the car?
                  Well the RS2 is a 93-94 I believe and the S2 is an 89-96

00 Audi S4 2.7tt 6MT
                  02 Audi S6 Avant 4.2

Comment

This will never happen, mark my words :-)
                    Build Threads:
                    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

anything is possible.
                      I have said it here on this forum a few times-- My best friend and I got a 1990 mini cooper into the u.s. for under 1500 dollars-- from southern germany to S.C.- its even "legally" registered in the U.S. now too.

I have also made it possible for a 1991 318is euro car-- now badged as a 1985 eta to get to the u.s.

but if you have no connections on this side of the pond--- it will be VERY expensive!
                      to ship my 55 chevy from chicago to NJ was 800 dollars-- from NJ to Rotterdam Netherlands was another 2500 dollars(including port fees, taxes (cars supposed value was 6000 dollars) and unloading-- they stole about 5000 dollars worth of stuff off and from in the car not including damaging the front fender and all of the scratches-- but I didnt have to pay for the customs inspection! I then flatbedded the car to germany- which ussually would have costed atleast another 700 dollars.

so I imagine it would be roughly the same price for everything the other way-- except your car isnt a classic yet (30 years old) so youwill have to convert it to meet the u.s. dot federalzation crap.-- good luck with that- most parts probably arent avail. anymore.

Comment

actually, 25 years is the cutoff for making a car pass u.s. safety and emissions. i don't know anything about stopping off in canada, but to bring a car directly into the states you will have to worry about this if you want to bring it in correctly. a huge issue if you want to ever sell it. these days making a car conform is pretty expensive. if you wish, buying a car 25 years or older you will avoid this.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                        X