Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can You Recommend A Good MiniDV Camera?

How's it going?

I want to get a nice MiniDV video camera --- I want a good quality picture (clear, sharp, etc) --- I'm not really too concerned about lotsa features. I also want it to be able to snap good quality still images.

I want to spend no more than $700 to $800.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Mario (TIATO) --- I heard you might be the Man on this.... ?

with a video camera, you probably won't be able to get good quality stills for that money.

Comment

with a video camera, you probably won't be able to get good quality stills for that money.

Comment

Originally posted by Giorgio
        HAHA! You posted! AND you fucked up. YES!
        btw, your car is high

Comment

There are a couple Sony Mini DV's out there that are really nice. The higest price Sony Mini DV is $700, so that would fit your budget. It has a memory stick slot to take pictures, so your pictures aren't on a tape. Nice features, software, cpmpact, and the buttons are in the right spots. You could also get a DVD camcorder if you shop around for sales. Circuit city was selling their Hitatchi for around $700.

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

the higest price sony mini dv cam is way more than $700

DCR-VX2100 Digital Handycam® Camcorder
            DCR-VX2100
            Take Control of Sound and Vision with the DCR-VX2100, offering the brightest video results of all Sony MiniDV models. With its new Advanced HADâ„¢ progressive scan CCD technology, illumination is improved dramatically, delivering superior low-light performance without the use of infrared technology.

$ 2,999.99

directly from sony's website..man I would like that camera

other than that the high end consumer sony and cannon cameras will probally give you want you want. I can no longer use a camera with auto focus and auto iris (consumer grade)...you just can't get away from them trying to help you and jacking up the whole thing in the process

Comment

Originally posted by MattE30
              There are a couple Sony Mini DV's out there that are really nice. The higest price Sony Mini DV is $700, so that would fit your budget. It has a memory stick slot to take pictures, so your pictures aren't on a tape. Nice features, software, cpmpact, and the buttons are in the right spots. You could also get a DVD camcorder if you shop around for sales. Circuit city was selling their Hitatchi for around $700.
              So the Sony DCR TRV-33 or DCR TRV-38 is probably the best option?

Comment

For your price range, I would say yes.

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

serious cat is serious
                  sigpic

Comment

Sony has a camera that takes excellent still shots and video on a memory stick. I cannot think of the exact model right now but they have one that is tubular in design. Its about the size of a 6-inch section of 2" pipe and is right in your price range. I think they boast being able to get 8.1 Megapixels of resolution or something like that.

Comment

AJ,

If you are thinking of taking video in your car at the track, do NOT get a DVR camera. Mini DV or something Solid State are the only way to go.
                      Current Cars
                      2014 M235i
                      2009 R56 Cooper S
                      1998 M3
                      1997 M3

Comment

AJ

if you really wanna buy a 4 yr old camera, i can hook you up.
                        sigpic

Comment

Wow. Nice thread revive.

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

HA! OLD thread...well I went back in time and gave my 2 cents anyways..

At $700 you are in a weird price range, I'd go with a $400 bottom of the line miniDV camera, or pony up and buy a used Sony VX-2000 ($1200-$1500?)

The VX-2000 and the older PD-150 can be found used. It's a Pro-sumer camera, and can take some really nice pictures (they are used all the time on relaity TV shows)

When you get it, go into the menu and turn down the sharpness setting a tad to your liking - they are overly artifically sharpened from the factory. And the hue is a tad too blue and electrontic looking - adjust for that as well.

Battery life is amazing on both of the cameras....

Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I recently picked up a panasonic pv-gs320. minidv, 3ccd, takes 3.1mp stills saved to SD (havent used still yet so can't comment on the quality). $429. The one thing that pissed me off when I was looking at what to get is that there seem to be NO camera under $1000 or so that have either a headphone jack or mic input so if you want that you may be out of luck.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X