Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations....

I need help!

I'm trying to break into the racing shop industry..... There is a few local shop here in Orlando..... and well.....

I was wondering if anyone had tips on, getting a job there..... even walking the dog and cleaning the bathrooms! just something to break me into the field.......

I do have experience in the shop environment, as i did 70+ hours at a local shop....

And wellll it depresses me that many people tell me that i have a better chance and building my way up to a shop by getting hired at a lube shop..... I'm sorta sketched out by those really and i hear that the turn around rate is ridiculous (whys that?)

-Thanks! :p
    Slamburglars Handbook:

5. Slamburglars don't get stuck on speed bumps, speed bumps get stuck on Slamburglars

Um. Go in and ask for an application.
    M Coupe

Comment

What do you know? Why should they hire you?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Devier View Post
        Um. Go in and ask for an application.
        Thats what im guessing most people think they can do but errrr wrong..... there looking for a resume....
        Slamburglars Handbook:

5. Slamburglars don't get stuck on speed bumps, speed bumps get stuck on Slamburglars

Comment

Originally posted by Omaliyo View Post
          Thats what im guessing most people think they can do but errrr wrong..... there looking for a resume....
          Get to know them, go to a tech school, work at a shop and/or learn as much as you can on your own car. My brother did basically all of that and just shot his resume to a shop here on the East Coast that everyone knows and to his surprise got accepted. He went to MMI, worked at two motorcycle shops, but did a lot of work with the local BMW tuning shop which had connections to this race team and it worked out.

Whatever you decide to do good luck.
          "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"-Colin McCrae

Comment

Yea thats what i'm trying to do.... go to school for mechanical engineering.... and gain experience at a shop.... for when im done studying to go big and being a lead fabricator or tech for a rolex team.....
            Slamburglars Handbook:

Comment

Can you get an internship? Do you really need to money or can you work for free for a while?

Comment

Originally posted by ethree View Post
                Can you get an internship? Do you really need to money or can you work for free for a while?
                +1, ask to apprentice and help out and maybe down the line thay will offer a position to you if they see some talent.

Comment

For the distance that i would be driving i would like to get paid lol, all the shops around here are pretty far (atleast a 30 min drive) from me...
                  Slamburglars Handbook:

Comment

Are these shops or race teams you are trying to join?
                    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"-Colin McCrae

Comment

Originally posted by Omaliyo View Post
                      For the distance that i would be driving i would like to get paid lol, all the shops around here are pretty far (atleast a 30 min drive) from me...
                      Since I assume you are in school, get involve with your SAE chapter and join the FSAE team, if you have one, or any other competitive college program. You can meet some pretty involved people in motorsports that way. (i.e. desgin reviews are chock full of these types. being on the team and making a solid presentation is a good introduction)
                      '89 325i track sloot
                      '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Join CFBMW.ORG and talk to Frank. He is the forum owner and also partner at PSI.

Comment

Im pretty much in the same boat. Worked at a Oil change place for 2 years, took some ASE class's then found a job at "European car shop" :D It lasted one month. I couldn't compete with the 3 other techs that all went to school for 3 years. It was fun tho and i drove 20 miles there and 20 miles back everyday. Good Luck

Comment

Jiffy Lube.

Comment

You might also want to talk to dealerships as they have a high turn over rate.

Comment

Working...
                              X