Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 318 Sedan...problems!

Hello all,

I just got my first E30. It was purchased as a beater/DD to keep the miles of my Evo. It is a 1991 318 Sedan Alpine with 220k. Clean CA only car with a few minor bumps and bruises. Everything works, all windows, power locks, a/c, stereo, and full cluster. It does need smog as it failed before. Purchased for the right price $900.

Now here are a few problems I am unsure of:

Hose leading to nothing:

Valve cover bolt that screws into nothing and can be pulled out by hand. Also has some light grey oil like substance on it, any ideas?:

Otherwise it has some minor problems to address:

Steering Rack it shot
    Ball joints worn out
    Minor oil leak, like 3-6 drops overnight
    Front shocks are toast
    Shift knob/boot/ebrake need replacements

I do know that at one point the motor was rebuild. I also have a problem with cold idling that goes away when warm. I unplugged the Cat plug today so hopefully the idle issue goes away when I can drive it tomorrow.

Any ideas on the other problems guys?

Oh I forgot to add the car has a problem with the tires:

Got it love it four different brands, two rears are the same size 195/65/14. The two fronts are 205/60/14 and 195/60/14. Anyone have a cheap set of matching tire with tread left for cheap? Or used wheels/tires?

Comment

looks like a good deal

so a hose that is obviously capped off and an idle issue,
      id pull the cap and see if you have water there or not, that can be a big clue, or open it, almost looks like some kind of drain bolt thingy
      but follow it and tell us where it came from, ( the other end goes to)
      first guess, if not a water line, check the hoses , like the vac hose from the v/c cover to the big snorkel between the afm and throttle body
      check the hose going to the ile control valve
      if its an "air" line might explain your idle issue

valve cover bolt, someone over torqued it, not a deal killer
      the other issues you talk about are commmon for the age, and around here almost expected in that price range

things to do
      if I had just picked it up

compression test and decent plugs
      get rid of throttle body heater crap while looking into the hose and idle issue
      check oil pick up/pan bolts
      fuel filter/ oil and airr
      then determine wher th emoney needs to go, if the tires are "ok" for now, "ball joints" are more critical for safety

my 2cents

l

Comment

also , not knowing where you are in cali
        there is the bay30 forum for e30's
        and the regional group here that can help

Comment

If you look at the 1st and 2nd photos of the hose you will see it goes to a t joint. One end of the hose goes through the firewall just to the left of the brake booster. The other goes behind the motor toward the IVC but I can not fully see where it goes.

Also is it better to get new control arms with ball joints and bushings or just replace the ball joints and bushings. I have access to a press at my work. I know doing the bushing only should be cheaper.

Also I am in Socal, out in the Desert actually, Palm Springs Area

Comment

Looks like somebody swapping in an electric cooling fan.

Comment

if i recall correctly the e30 ball joints are not servicable.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
              i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
              Originally posted by slammin.e28
              Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

So I fixed the idle issue by unplugging the cat plug behind the motor. Idles smooth now when cold. Does any body know about the ball joints? I am I better off replacing them or do I need to do the whole control arm?

Comment

Working...
                X