E36M3 front suspention on E30M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36M3 front suspention on E30M3

I'm parting out an E36M3 for my S50B32 swap, so I wonder if I can use the front strut on my E30M3 without the wheel alignment being way out?

I got Treehouse Eyeball bushings, adjustable swaybar endlinks and K-Sport adjustable top mounts.

Thanks
    1987 BMW E30 M3 RB26
    2016 VW Polo 1.2 TSI R-Line

Originally posted by 5spoke
    Fucking norway and your sick clean ass e30's! Yes i am yelling!

Its been done, but why would you want to? You already have a 5 lug...Do you want bigger brakes?
    1993 325ic Schwarz/Natur
    1991 318is Black/Black - Slicktop - Project s52
    1989 Alpine White/Black M3 S52
    1988 Henna/Pearl M3 <3

Comment

you can put e36m3 brakes onto e30m3 hubs
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

^ that would be the way to do it right. The E36 geometry is a simple bolt on but requires a mix of parts from different years, and it's still a bit goofy. To get the bigger brakes from the M3 onto the E30's strut, I think all you need is a rotor spacer. I'm not 100% certain though, check the 5 lug forum and s14.net.
        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Why? Because I have a complete 98 M3 in my garage, and the price of coilovers is a lot less.

Brakes, yes. To fit them to E30M3 strut I will have to machene a spacer behind the rotor and the hub wich need to be 12.7mm I think. And that results in an rim offset that does not belong anywhere.... I have just bought Oz Mitos for 2580EUR with ET21 at front.
          1987 BMW E30 M3 RB26

Comment

so you want to put the wrong parts on the car that results in goofy geometry to save some bucks, but you spent $11,000 on an E36 just for the motor?

If you wanted to save cash, you could have not overpaid on the wheels, or the E36. You paid more than double what I paid for my S50!

good luck...
            My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Horsepower View Post
              Why? Because I have a complete 98 M3 in my garage, and the price of coilovers is a lot less.

Brakes, yes. To fit them to E30M3 strut I will have to machene a spacer behind the rotor and the hub wich need to be 12.7mm I think. And that results in an rim offset that does not belong anywhere.... I have just bought Oz Mitos for 2580EUR with ET21 at front.
              If you put the E36 M3 struts on your E30 M3, your et21 OZ mitos will also not fit in the front because the hubs are thicker.

Comment

oh, wow, you can spend money better than I can..... E-baller!

Just sell off the M3 suspension, part out the rest of the car once you've finished the motor swap, and put the money towards a proper set of brakes and coilovers.

With the spacer, your offsets will be different, and an ET21 will probably not fit worth a damn. Are you going to put real tires on it or euro-stretched retard tires?
                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                  so you want to put the wrong parts on the car that results in goofy geometry to save some bucks, but you spent $11,000 on an E36 just for the motor?

If you wanted to save cash, you could have not overpaid on the wheels, or the E36. You paid more than double what I paid for my S50!

good luck...
                  You don't live in Norway where everything about cars are fucking expencive eather so...

I have set up a math about it and buying the whole car rather than just the engine and parting it out, I will end up on a total of less than $7700 wich I would had to pay for the engine and transmission only from the same car anyway.

The Vader seats I will get around $1700, mirrors are sold for $190, M3 sideskirts and rear bumper will be sold for $520 so... You do the math.

About the rear rims, they are not mine. I borrowed them because the other ones was burned out.

A original E36M3 3.2l that is in good condition cost from $43000 to $51000 here these days, E30M3s are closing up on that price as well. It is rare to see one under $35000.

Back to the suspension, I'm only asking because I know there are many that uses this solution on the E30M3. I want to use theouse bakes, but when they fit so bad and makes the offset go way out I must say it is not very tempting. After all, it is Brembo or Porsche brakes I want...:!:
                  1987 BMW E30 M3 RB26

Comment

You don't live in Norway where everything about cars are fucking expencive eather so...

I have set up a math about it and buying the whole car rather than just the engine and parting it out, I will end up on a total of less than $7700 wich I would had to pay for the engine and transmission only from the same car anyway.

The Vader seats I will get around $1700, mirrors are sold for $190, M3 sideskirts and rear bumper will be sold for $520 so... You do the math.

About the rear rims, they are not mine. I borrowed them because the other ones was burned out.

A original E36M3 3.2l that is in good condition cost from $43000 to $51000 here these days, E30M3s are closing up on that price as well. It is rare to see one under $35000.

Back to the suspension, I'm only asking because I know there are many that uses this solution on the E30M3. I want to use theouse bakes, but when they fit so bad and makes the offset go way out I must say it is not very tempting. After all, it is Brembo or Porsche brakes I want...:!:
                    You're not listening. The E36 M3 suspension from a single model year will not work. You must combine parts from different model years to get anywhere near good geometry. For the rotor and brake setup on E30 M3 stuff, go to S14.net and search, it has been covered hundreds of times there.

Or, get Massive Lee's E30 M3 big brake kit and do it right the first time.
                    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I thought the oem E36 M3 brakes were the same diameter as E30 M3
                      Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
                      ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
                      E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

I never listen :P

I have now thought about this when being in the garage these days, and have decided to leave the E36M3 brakes where they belong....on E36M3. I will rather sell them and go for some Brembo kit or Massive that fits without messing up the geometry and offset.

Thanks for many good arguments for NOT doing this :)
                        1987 BMW E30 M3 RB26

Comment

Working...
                        X