Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water under my battery??

hey guys,

so my car has been sitting due to me not being able to afford insurance :( ....dont worry, she'll be back this summer!! but there has been water accumulating under the battery tray on the right side of the trunk...i thought it was coming in around the gas tank hole, but i caulked it and it didnt seem to help.

has anyone else had this problem/know what is letting the water in?

thanks!!
    -G

tailight seals, trunk rubber.
    Yours truly,
    Rich
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Rigmaster
    you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

oh, its been under a cover as well. my trunk seals seem to be intact as well?

Comment

Sunroof drain tubes are another culprit of water in the trunk.

They are made of plastic and crack over time and the water ends up on the floor in the rear passenger area and/or in the trunk.
        sigpic
        1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
        Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
        Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

hmmm my e30 doesnt have a sunroof! the plot thickens....

Comment

I'm betting it's the taillight seals.
            clutchCTRL!
            Move with a purpose.
            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
            - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
            - 2000 323i AT
            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Get in the trunk with a flashlight and have a friend close the trunk and spray the car down with a hose.

Make sure it's a really good friend.
              sigpic
              1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
              Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.

Comment

I had the same exact problem. New tail light gasket will do the trick.
                -Pierre
                1987 535is
                1988 325is

Comment

Originally posted by e30nub View Post
                  I had the same exact problem. New tail light gasket will do the trick.
                  This worked in my accord perfectly.

I know I need some for my e30 as well, but I'm also curious about the sun-roof run offs in my car.

How much do two tail light gaskets go for?
                  Originally posted by z31maniac
                  I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Cabrio View Post
                    Sunroof drain tubes are another culprit of water in the trunk.

They are made of plastic and crack over time and the water ends up on the floor in the rear passenger area and/or in the trunk.
                    Is there a DIY somewhere on replacing the drain tubes? I dont have my bently here with me to see if its covered but I suspect this is something I might have to do.

Tail light gaskets are cheap, something like $6 or $7 each IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by LivingLegend06 View Post
                      Is there a DIY somewhere on replacing the drain tubes? I dont have my bently here with me to see if its covered but I suspect this is something I might have to do.

Tail light gaskets are cheap, something like $6 or $7 each IIRC
                      IDK

I remember when I had a coupe that I used to get some water in the rear passenger area and that was listed as one of the reasons during my research.

The drain tubes are plastic and get brittle with age so some of the water ends up in the car/trunk.

Maybe a google search would bring the desired results.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Cabrio View Post
                        Get in the trunk with a flashlight and have a friend close the trunk and spray the car down with a hose.

Make sure it's a really good friend.

yeah...cause if you go askin your GF...she might not let your ass out...
                        sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Also check ur antenna gourment.. It can leak in from there too..
                          i also had my car parked for couple months and the battery acid leaked threw the floor board n ate it all up.. I suggest you take ur battery off if its in the trunk...
                          sigpic
                          Check out my Insurance Thread
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=164190

Comment

Working...
                          X