Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 restoration projects, suggestions?

Hi,

I'll be restoring several e30's and would really appreciate some input from some fellow e30 lovers. Any suggestions would be great. I'll be doing one at a time and I'll keep posting pics and updates throughout.

I've always loved e30's and in my opinion, no other vehicle even compares.

I saved up for a LONG WHILE and bought 4 project e30's to start with. I wanted original glossy paint and a straight body. But they all need plenty of work.

This will be taking up all my weekends and evenings for awhile but I'm looking forward to it. I'm not a mechanic but I do know how to turn a wrench, so expect a lot of questions.

My goal is to stay as original as possible with some slight modifications.

I'm doing it for fun/hobby, but I will be selling each one once it has been finished. Unless I fall in love with it, then I'm keepin it.

I'm starting with a 1989 325i 2 door coupe.

How about some pics? Kinda hard to suggest without. What do they need work on? a front iS lip for that first car would be a good start. Mtech1//e28 rear spoilers are sexy, but if you're trying to keep it on par with factory e30s then just go no rear spoiler or is rear lip/spoiler.

If you're plan is to make profits off these cars, then keep the mods to a minimum or non-existent. People go apeshit for stock cars, but for good reason. I hope you got a good deal off these cars if your plan right from the get-go is to sell them. Even if you do manage to bring them back to very nice condition, they're still 20 years old.
    -Darius (aka DiscoDoughnuts on other forums)

dude man bro...

Comment

Start restoration with the underbody. Inspect and repair any rust ports and rolling on another coat of sealant (truck bedliner maybe). Remove all equipment from the engine bay and respray it. Put new insulation, etc, reinstall engine and transmission, exhaust, and use brand new new suspension. Then strip and prep exterior and shoot new paint. Re-install bumpers, etc. Finish interior and trunk last.

I find that weekends are often not enough to get things done. I would suggest enlisting outside help when it makes sense to move the project forward.

Comment

Ok, here are the e30's

Comment

Buy the repair manual by Robert Bentley.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dnova89 View Post

If you're plan is to make profits off these cars, then keep the mods to a minimum or non-existent. People go apeshit for stock cars, but for good reason. I hope you got a good deal off these cars if your plan right from the get-go is to sell them. Even if you do manage to bring them back to very nice condition, they're still 20 years old.
            This is for a hobby and a challenge, I understand e30's are worth only so much. If I break even then it was worth it.

The timing belt went out on this one. What do you guys think? I plan on replacing the engine but I expected to see worse once I pulled out the timing belt. Is an engine replacement necessary from looking at the timing belt? I have the engine about ready to pull out but if an alternate fix is possible/easier I'd love to hear it.

I took out the timing belt and this is what I found.

Comment

Keep it simple. Drop maybe and some euro parts and a set of some bbs wheels.

Comment

Why four at once!?

Restoring an old car you love is a very satisfying and fulfilling experience, but I don't think I could ever do it for other people. It's too personal.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Good luck with this. I attempted the same type of endeavor a few years ago. Here is what I learned:

1. Double the projected cost you think each car will require. You will spend that much.

2. Dont rely on finding major parts and components at the pic and pull. You will be forever finishing a car.

3. To sell a car for any real money, the interior must be nearly pristine and the AC needs to work .... well.

4. You will do well just to break even. No way you can count on 6-8k selling price and it will run around 5k, counting the initial cost of the car to get a e30 to the point it is ready to sell.

If you approach this project as a hobby, or interesting challenge you will enjoy it and maybe make a small profit. Not nearly as much as you might make doing something else.

Good luck to you though. Just remember when you get frustrated over the course of these restorations....you wanted this.....LOL
                  sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

What an interesting situation. I love the first one!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Working...
                    X