Need a new multimeter, any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new multimeter, any suggestions?

Going for auto ranging because I'm lazy. Saw this one on sale at amazon.com and wondered what you guys thought.

I wanted a mid level one since my last one was really cheap, but this one looks alright.

Just going to use it on the car to test certain components. My wiring is really jacked up.
    West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
    ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

I have 2 that I work with a lot. Im sure some guys here use way better ones but I am a field service guy so I need portable shit. First one is a Fluke 179. Came in a electricians meter kit from MSC. After 2 years its not worth the money. You can't zero out the meter for lead resistance. Its only 10A circuit for checking amperage. And it seeks a lot in AC voltage mode. Like I broke something inside and its affected by noise now. Also it hunts too when checking resistance till it settles.

Then I bought an Ideal 61-768 which is a AC/DC clamp meter up to 660 amps. This was especially helpful when my brother was popping 30 amp fuses on his car. What is also really helpful it has two views incase you can't read it head on. The leads are kinda crappy that come with it. I'd recommend Fluke leads. Other than that its a good meter. Something like this from Fluke would be twice the price. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2FGL5?Pid=search

My next meter will probably be a scopemeter because we been having a lot of noise issues with our new machines.
    Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

yeah fluke meters are nice but I really don't have that kind of money. I was looking for something in the $50 range. I don't need it to be good for ac. My girlfriend's dad is an electrician so when I need something nice I'll use his flukes but I just need something cheap and functional enough to use on the fly.
      West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
      ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

cheap autoranging one with lifetime warranty?

i use a fluke meter

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
        PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

i never understood how the clamp ones work

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
          i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
          Originally posted by slammin.e28
          Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

you get what you pay for 18 bucks for a DMM is a bit too cheap and i wouldnt trust the readings. If its important to you then i would check out some craftsmans at sears they should be in range. I would at least get a quality one if your gonna spend the money.
            1989 325i - sold
            1987 RX-7 Turbo II - sold
            1990 325i

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post
              cheap autoranging one with lifetime warranty?

i use a fluke meter
              this. look on CL, and ebay.
              Yours truly,
              Rich
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Rigmaster
              you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Fluke
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

When i was in school i purchased a new blue point for 100 bucks. that was in 03 an i still use it daily. The only thing i wish it had is a back lit LCD.
                  1989 325i - sold
                  1987 RX-7 Turbo II - sold
                  1990 325i

Comment

Working...
                  X