• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats this e30 worth? 1987 325is

1987 325is

Alpine White/Black Interior
    175k miles
    5 Speed

CLEAN interior/exterior. No dents/dings on the outside. Little 1/2 quarter size rust bubbles around rear window (on side of window). Paint in very good condition. Interior is in VERY good condition, no holes or rips in leather.

Runs good, drives straight. Has a very slight hesitation down low but nothing a tune-up shouldn't take care of. This could have also been caused by the intake boot being just slightly loose (after the MAF) which was discovered after the car was taken for the test drive.

Problems/Issues:
    Wiper motor/switch - Windshield wipers dont work, dont even try to work at any speed (sand in the reservoir so they haven't for a while Im assuming).
    A/C Blower Motor - A/c works and blows COLD but the blower motor makes a hellacious squeeling. Works but needs new motor.
    CD Player - Aftermarket Pioneer CD player that doesn't pick up any statations. Rear antenna is broken off so that could be an easy fix but not sure.
    Central Locking System - Comes with 1 aftermarket key that works 1/2 the time in the doors. When turning the key all the way to the right sometimes it will lock, sometimes it wont. Sometimes it gets jammed in the locked position and wont come out, sometimes it locks fine. Takes a good couple of minutes to lock the door.
    Cruise Control - Not working, don't know why.
    Sunroof - Opens fine, on closing sometimes gets caught about 3inches from closing all the way, a hand pushing it along at that point and it closes find. It doesn't tilt upward on position 2 though.

The engine oil light is also being thrown on the OBC. It is also at inspection time according to the OBC (in red/yellow area with either 1 or 2 bars left), will this cause the engine oil light to be thrown? Oil level does not appear to be low when checked. Windows work but passenger side goes down until its about 1/4 inch from the bottom. Its barely poking out of the doorsill but you can tell its not all the way. On the way back up it goes all the way up but makes a sound when it hits the top, almost like the window motor is still trying to push the window up even though its all the way there.

No history on the vehicle. Fuses were checked and all in-tact so the issues aren't fuse related (unless they're relay Im not sure). Tires are ~30%, driveable but need attention within the next few thousand miles.

What would you guys expect to pay for it? The vehicle is CLEAN in/out and the motor runs good, it just has a few things it needs worked on and I wouldn't have any problem driving it long distance from what Ive seen. Trying to see what you guys think it's worth under these circumstances. Its just a little more than I budgeted myself to pay so I wanted outside opinions before I make a decision on it.

Last edited by pelotudo; 05-18-2010, 06:31 PM.

$3.5k I would say. Maybe more, but around there.

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    You are lucky your Dad didn't pull out and leave you on the passenger side seat.

Comment

Maybe sell it at 3.5k... buying more like 2-2.5k.

Comment

Be wary of the rust, there's always more under what you can see. Be sure to check the usual rust spots (license lights, side rails, rocker panels), as I have a feeling you could find more there. It's not impossible to fix, of course, just a pain and something you should consider -- this really depends on where you are, northern US this could be great! :) Is the paint original?

From the picture you posted, it looks clean and would be a good starting base, just don't overpay as some of those repairs could be time consuming (blower motor, electrical problems). Around 3k seems fair from what you posted, give or take 500. Less if you're CA, PNW, maybe more if you're bumfuck nowhere or American else die cities.

Comment

2500.00 in Dallas, Tx.

Well, thats what I'd offer. It is clean. The issues seem pretty manageable. Added to maintainence... have ya a clean 4k machine.
          sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Thanks guys.

Opinions on pricing seem to be all over the road, ranging anywhere from 1500 to 3500 like you guys mentioned.

The paint appears original on the car and I checked all the spots I knew for rust and couldn't find any (rear rockers behind wheels, under the car, tail light, trunk, around trim, front fender behind wheels) other than the little bubble I mentioned.

The car is very close to where you are txtorque. The seller (dealer) called this morning and offered the split the difference (a couple hundred $$$) from where I was yesterday and what he could get down to. I told him that if he could get the wipers working we could move along today so Ill see what he comes up with.

Comment

UPDATE:

Talked to the previous owner today (whose registration from 3 years ago just happened to be suck on the backside of the owners manual) and got quite a bit of information the car. This owner was the 2nd owner of the vehicle and owned it from 2006-2007.

Car came from a doctor/wife in Chicago. Car was garaged winter, driven summer car. The car was kept immaculate minus a scratch on one of the fenders. Being perfectionists the PO said they had the whole fender redone/replaced to fix the scratch. Doctors wife drove the car until hitting something in the road that ended up puncturing the tranny and destroyed it. 2nd owner bought the car sight unseen and had it shipped to FL.

2nd owner had BMW shop owner friend who had a tranny from a wrecked e30. He had the wrecked tranny rebuilt and installed it in the car along with a new clutch and all associated pieces at 105k.

Between 105k-125k when he sold the car (3 years ago) he performed the following:
              Timing Belt
              Front & Rear Crank Seals
              Guibo
              Tires
              Water pump
              Radiator
              Thermostat

Couple other things but he couldn't remember. He sold the car in 2007 for $3500 to a guy locally. At that time he offered the complete service records (from 1986 until 2007, completely documented) to the new owner and the new owner told him he wasn't interested in those and told him to throw them away. For whatever reason he and I for that matter have no clue.

He delivered the car to the new owner with a car cover (now missing), E30 bentley manuel and everything working.

So it looks like over the last 3 years 50k has been put on the car and the little problems have arisen. For some reason the owner after him wasn't interested in records whatsoever however did keep it in good condition minus not fixing the small stuff.
              Last edited by pelotudo; 05-19-2010, 07:52 AM.

Comment

i say go for it, the owner not having the maintenance records is definitely to your advantage, pricing-wise, so long as you're willing to take the risk. low-ball the shit out of him & see where you get.
                Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Looks like it's time for a timing belt again. Oil light (OBC) is for oil level - if level good, sensor bad. 3k ish seems fair......
                  Leave now before I shed my human form and kill you

Comment

Originally posted by pelotudo View Post
                    Thanks guys.

Opinions on pricing seem to be all over the road, ranging anywhere from 1500 to 3500 like you guys mentioned.

The paint appears original on the car and I checked all the spots I knew for rust and couldn't find any (rear rockers behind wheels, under the car, tail light, trunk, around trim, front fender behind wheels) other than the little bubble I mentioned.

The car is very close to where you are txtorque. The seller (dealer) called this morning and offered the split the difference (a couple hundred $$$) from where I was yesterday and what he could get down to. I told him that if he could get the wipers working we could move along today so Ill see what he comes up with.
                    Where are you..and the car? You having it shipped or what?

Need someone (me) to check it out first?

Let me know!!

Mark
                    sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Sounds like a winner buy it.

Comment

its in florida. ive looked at and driven it thx though guys.

talked with the lot owner. hes going to be fixing the windshield wiper motor (broken gear) tomorrow along with lubing the blower motor.

the oil light/level sensor ill have to handle myself, along with the cruise control but other than that it sounds like ill be picking it up in the next couple of days.

Comment

i giveu liek 300
                          85 318is \\\M

up date mods:

roundel subscription
                          mega time attack bottlecaps
                          extra cut springs
                          wiper blade delete
                          racing slick tires
                          nite-shadez headlights tail lightsmand windows

xtra mods:
                          cut belt
                          sanded spark plug
                          air filler delete
                          even more cut springs
                          broken ac delete

more:
                          more cut belt

bettered:

crome fender trim
                          crome spray nozzle
                          cut off exhost
                          body color grillz
                          ran bumbers n2 wall
                          blue under body lites
                          neon wheel wells an calipurs
                          new:
                          eyebrow
                          black gills
                          more head lites

Comment

If I am selling it, $3500.

If I am buying it $1200.

Closing SOON!
                            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

some say the 87 was an epic year.
                              ellipsoids, and diving boards, no air bag, and a very strong design.

i prefer the plastic bumpers, and esp the rear apron types, but the 87, and 88s are still on my top pix for years.

there are minor differences in the water hoses, and other stuff on them, and thats why the 87,88 are special.

well, ensure the t.b. is good, and enjoy it.

its worth 3k or up, but so many other e30s are sooo cheap, its almost easy to talk the price down, especially since we can always compare the price of a 2001 750i to be about 5k... makes owners think the e30 is too old...(which it is, but its like wine, which is a secret i guess)
                              3 pedal club
                              200,k+ club
                              cabrio club
                              port-matched- polished- purring www.BMWpark.org

</div>

linux since 1999

Comment

Working...
                              X