New e30 owner. Awesome car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New e30 owner. Awesome car

I just bought a new car car. A 1986 325es. I am impressed by the eta's low end torque, where you can pull from 4th gear at 1,000 rpm without a problem, all while being economical. And the chassis, brakes, ergonomics, and suspension feel very well designed. These cars, even though they employ 80's technology, have a much better quality feeling than today's <$25,000 cars.
    Usually "cheap" cars have been designed with a lot of compromises to decrease production costs, etc. Just look at any generic Honda Civic or a Ford Focus, etc. IMO the e30 is a much better designed car than these cars. The old BMW's, Mercedes, Volvos, etc, are cars that feel solid and have great performance, handling and safety. Back in 1986 a fully loaded 325es would cost you $22,000. With today's technology it could probaly be built/assembled more "efficiently" and sell for a little less (I hope. Has the price of steel gone up that much?, maybe I'm wrong.). I wonder if BMW could make a cheap car based on the e30 chassis, with some minor improvements (better interiors, freshened panel mouldings, more technology on the engine, better fuel economy and more power, a turbo diesel maybe?). I think it could sell in the $16,000 - $20,000 range, depending on options. It would probably be easy and cheap for them to do because they still have the casts and blueprints and stuff. I think they would sell like hotcakes. It would be like the original Volkswagen Beetle, but of much higher quality. I don't know, just a thought. I think stuff like this is what we need in this (unfortunately) capitalistic world, good, durable, cheap products. I don't think average Joe would mind driving a BMW around either ; )

welcome to the forums!

i too started with an e-car and i loved it. you're right about the chassis and the feel of the car, i'm back in the saddle in a 91 318is but the e will always have a special place in my heart
    ________
    Fake Weed
    Last edited by Gr00v3; 05-12-2011, 10:51 AM.

m42brigade

r3v Photo Crew: Founding Member

Originally posted by Eurospeed
    Guys like him are the reason I love it when people do things to their cars that are different. It just like anytime Karlo posts a thread with pics of his car, I love watching all the elitist pricks on this site shit their pants when they see an E30 that doesn't fit their standards.

Comment

Well there is the new 1-series, but I guess thats on a completely different page.

Comment

But $22,000 in 1986 is like $35,870 today, that puts you in a whole different class of cars. You can buy some e46's for that much.

"One of my top five favorite, like, cool...nerd cars"

'89 325i-sold
        '98 528i

Comment

I was thinking, what the hell, BMW still probably has all the means to mass produce E30's with the new sixes in them....they would be powerfula nd get better gasmilage, and we wouldn't be stuck buying 15 yr old cars!
          We can only hope they'll catch on.
          - 2000 Audi S4 Stg 2 (sold)
          - house (bought)
          - 1997 Civic Hatch (shaky but driveable)
          - 2010 Sportster 1200 Forty Eight Ed. (vroom)
          - 1991 318is S50B30 (TBA)

Comment

It would be cool for them to reproduce it but you have to realize that the E30 fails to meet current safety and emissions standards. With all that crap added to the car, it would weigh much more and be more complex...like all new cars.

Mark

Comment

I agree, emissions and safety are probably be the two biggest issues that need to be addressed in order to make the e30 viable. In terms of safety, some modifications could be made to the chassis and modern generation airbags could be added. Emissions could be improved by using more advanced engine management systems and better catalyst materials that are available today. What I think is that the world needs companies that can make products (in this case automobiles) that are durable, reliable, and offer good performance (not necesarily cutting-edge). Nowadays, most of the stuff one buys is "disposable" after a short time (3-5 years in the case of a car). How come one can buy a 20 year old e30 with a lot of miles and it still runs better than a lot of the cars being sold today?

Comment

Welcome to the forums :) Post some pics of your car for us to see
                Continuous For Sale Thread
                323i s50

Comment

Some pictures can be found at the bottom of my webpage:
                  The University of Missouri (Mizzou), located in Columbia, educates tomorrow’s leaders and relentlessly pursues solutions for a brighter future.

BTW, I paid $1700 for the car.

Comment

Welcome to R3V. Clean car. Get some leather conditioner on those seats before they get any worse. If there are no tears, those are rescuable. I love white on cardinal e30s. A clean cardinal interior is HOT!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X