Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High-mileage E30 M3 or mint low-mileage E30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High-mileage E30 M3 or mint low-mileage E30?

I found a very high-mileage E30 M3 for sale (almost 300k on the S14) for about 8k, and a friend's dad has a mint low-mileage (under 82k) 325i coupe for sale for about 5.2k.

Should I go for the E30 M3, or go with the clean E30 and do a 5-lug swap and S50 swap?

I don't want to rebuild an S14, so maybe I will have to sell the tired motor for a lower-mileage one in the future. I probably shouldn't do an S50 swap in a historic car like an E30 M3.

And the regular E30 with an E30 M3 5-lug will perform nicely, especially with an S50 swap which doesn't negatively affect the value of a 325i.

The 325i is really mint. The E30 M3 is a little tired, but not a beater.

even though the 325i is mint it probably still needs lots of mechanic work (suspension etc) unless it comes with papers showing lots of things done.... so I would pick the e30m3, sell or keep the s14 and freshen it up with new suspension and throw an s52 obd1 in there. my 2 cents.
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Depends on what you want to do really. The M3 will always be a collectable, but modding won't add to its value. The Coupe will be a great basis for modding and will only increase in value when you add to it.

So really, how much work do you want to do?

Comment

Given a choice like that I would do the M.

But, I have the skills, equipment, and a place to work, so I can repair or rebuild as necessary.

I say do a long mileage test on the S14, see if it can hit 500,000!

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

If you dont buy the M send the info to me, I am in CT

Comment

The M.
            It's highly likely that the s14 has been rebuilt a few times.

Does the car have any service record to show what's been done to the engine?
            Originally posted by 416stroker
            well Fünfgang or whatever is the new ubernasty a whore

Comment

your really contemplating this? lol

granted the reasons are a good argument, but its an E30 M3.... gods chariot. it wins life.

Comment

I'm just curious about the math goin on here.... the difference between the two is only ~3k. An S50 swap into either is about 5-8k (depending on how well you do it) and an e30 m3 5 lug for the 325 will be about 2-3k.

Yes modding the e30 coupe will raise it's value and the M3 won't gain value, but the M won't depreciate. If you restore the body and interior to top quality condition then the M will double it's current price (for you) over time. No matter how much you pour into a 325 you will not be reselling it for anything north of 8-9k. There are guys on here that have put 20K+ into their cars and they are still only "worth" 8k at best. The average m3 is 15k and will only appreciate in value over time.

Your decision comes down to two major issues 1.Are you intent on keeping the car or selling it in a few years? 2. What would you rather drive right now, the current engine is more important because, from the looks of it, you'll be swapping an engine regardless.
                stephenbrody.com

Comment

Buy the 325i, it'll be more fun to build up however you want and you don't have to worry about it depreciating.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Go for the M you can sale s14 $2,500 to $3,500 on s14.net. Then can swap a u.s. s50 motor.
                    Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
                      Go for the M you can sale s14 $2,500 to $3,500 on s14.net. Then can swap a u.s. s50 motor.
                      Seriously? U.S motor? for 3,500 I can get a sweet euro s50b32.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                      VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Originally posted by trackjunkie21 View Post
                        Seriously? U.S motor? for 3,500 I can get a sweet euro s50b32.
                        Where?

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

M-powahhhhh
                          -Darius (aka DiscoDoughnuts on other forums)

dude man bro...

Comment

God's Chariot
                            ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

Originally posted by Raxe View Post
                              Where?
                              Look up SONNYQ on here or on s14.net. He has a steady stream of them coming in and I think he has generally advertised them w/ 5 or 6 spd euro trans complete (wiring/ECU/etc incl) for 5-6k. Not a bad deal, as he takes care of all the importation BS. I will probably do this if my s52 ever goes tits up.

To OP, if the M is clean, that is a good deal. There are a lot of haters when it comes to I-6 swaps into these cars, but I LOVE mine. Your decision, and there are plenty of resources out there if you decide to rebuild the s14. That all being said, the regular e30 w/ swap is not a bad idea either. My guess is that the s5x swap will cost somewhere between 4-7k depending on how much of the work you do, and what kind of a deal you can get on the motor/trans.
                              e92 M3
                              e30 M3 s52 swap
                              w203 C240 wagon (DD)
                              190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

Working...
                              X