coolant leak... Does this sound right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant leak... Does this sound right?

So i just replaced my coolant hoses for the radiator on '87 325e (w/'87 325i auto radiator, in it). i replaced them because i was leaking coolant from each end tank port. so i put every thing together, fill my radiator and expansion tank, and took it out for a test drive.
    I didn't get too far when my coolant light came on (about 4 miles i was driving in a loop around my house), so i took it back home to investigate.

It i tightened everything thing up but it appears that you can see moisture coming from where the end tank meets the aluminum. (it could be ATF though, seeing as it's right next to once of the tranny cooler ports)

so my question, is it possible that my radiator just started leaking just because? Or should i see if i can get my hoses a little tighter?

uhm... kinda confusing post here, but i did get one thing. You did not bleed the cooling system at all? thats your problem. open expansion tank, turn car on. fill expansion tank, crack bleed screw til no bubbles then close. make sure it gets to operating temp before you open the bleeder. and repeat this as many times as you need till no more air is in the system.
    you probably didnt leak out coolant, you just had nowhere near enough in it. when you fill the expansion tank, once the cars started it will circulate the coolant, so check that tank again, bet its empty.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer420 View Post
      uhm... kinda confusing post here, but i did get one thing. You did not bleed the cooling system at all? thats your problem. open expansion tank, turn car on. fill expansion tank, crack bleed screw til no bubbles then close. make sure it gets to operating temp before you open the bleeder. and repeat this as many times as you need till no more air is in the system.
      you probably didnt leak out coolant, you just had nowhere near enough in it. when you fill the expansion tank, once the cars started it will circulate the coolant, so check that tank again, bet its empty.
      any tips on being more clearer?

I didn't bleed the system because i didn't feel that i needed too; I filled the radiator, which eliminate most the air pockets with in. system (remember i didn't drain the entire system), and then topped off the expansion tank, and let the car warm up to temp, so that it could self bleed the remaining air bubbles. then i drove it around, and my coolant light came on. i found a slow leak on the lower driver side of the radiator, but couldn't trace it's exact location.

btw, theirs a city in MN called forest lake. just a fun fact.

Comment

just tried again... its not leaking any thing, so yeah, i guess the system was just a little low.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer420 View Post
          Yeah, I guess that will work, but next time try this: open the bleeder screw without starting the car (coolant will not run out). Fill the reservoir until you get a steady stream of coolant from the bleeder, close bleeder and fill reservoir to "kalt/cold" line. Start the car and look in the reservoir for coolant flowing (you may need to bring up the R's a bit to see any). Replace reservoir cap, test drive car, top up coolant level as necessary. A lot easier, always works for me. Seems like the OP is all set anyway, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
          '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
          '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by call me jack View Post
            just tried again... its not leaking any thing, so yeah, i guess the system was just a little low.
            Just remember, anytime coolant escapes your car (besides from the bleed screw of course), bleed it. You can never be too careful, besides 10minutes of bleeding will save you worries down the road! I see you have it fixed though.
            Originally posted by TSI
            ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
            OEM+

Comment

If its leaking where the plastic meets the aluminum, i think its time for a new radiator. No?

Comment

any time you replace hoses there will be air in the system. you didnt put the hoses on full of coolant, as thats impossible.
                people seem to bleed their cars differently, but mostly the same. look up some methods.
                i replaced almost my entire cooling system and i had to bleed it once more a few days after the first time. sometimes it takes time for the air to work its way up.

as for forest lake, theres one in Il too. they pop up a lot when i enter my city in to different things. theres no forest or lake here though.

Comment

Did you replace the two small orings that are on the end of the coolant lines entering the radiator?

If not, theres your leak. If you reused the old ones, that is ok, but not optimum. Im actually waiting on new ones before I install my new rad.
                  sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

i filled my radiator from one of the cooling hoses to significantly reduce air in the system.

it was actually leaking from that stupid plastic drain plug (never used it before, and never will again)

and the stuff i thought i saw coming from the radiator was inf act atf residue.
                    but hey, guys i appreciate all the help :)

Comment

Working...
                    X