vert top replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vert top replacement

For those who have had to change the top, how much were you charged for labor?

I'm considering picking one up from here:

Our replacement soft top is made with the original German Sonnenland cloth and comes with a sewn in plastic window. Order now for fast shipping!

I'd like to factor the labor cost to have an idea of the total expense.

Thanks peeps and happy new year.
    monoblanco
    www.passportsoccer.com

I would imagine that whatever shop tha is doing the install would pick what top it is. It all depends on what they need to do the top. if you are a bit handy, it isn't that hard to do one yourself, just need a heatgun, and some good glue.
    If you came to my shop with a cheap ass piece and wanted it installed, i prob. wouldn't even do it, and if, i wouldn't warranty anything.

Comment

The top appears to be a quality product. I replaced both of my tops with the German cloth and they came out great. Don't even think about installing a new top without new tension straps and a new front seal. The new tension straps will make the top fold correctly as it is lowered into the storage compartment. It's worth the extra money.

I have no idea as to the labor cost because I installed mine myself. It's not hard to do; it's just tedious.

Good luck with your project.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

Solid advice!

i replaced mine myself after getting a 800-900 dollar quote from the upholstery shop. i ordered a german canvas top from ebay for around 350.

to install it, just start carefully removing the weatherstripping and youll see the screws that hold the channel "clamps" in place which hold the top down.

it can be replaced with a phillips head screw driver, and a bit of patience. and a good sunny afternoon. some spray adhesive will make it more permanent.

do get the tension straps, as i did not and wished i did. they are there only to pretty much direct the top into the rear storage hatch correctly.

Comment

Just ran across this while doing my search:

It seems like there was a top with a zipper window available from BMW years ago. I spoke to the guy who posted the add hoping to get information about anyone making a top with a zipper window, but he didn't know of anyone making them. Bummer.
          monoblanco
          www.passportsoccer.com

Comment

Working...
          X