Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Rear Subframe Bushing is installed correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Rear Subframe Bushing is installed correctly?

Hi everyone,

I am new to the E30 scene...just picked up a 1988 325iC. Known issue was that the rear half shafts are bad, and the subframe mount bushings suspect.

I just jacked up the rear to look, and the two sides aren't symmetrical. Based on the pictures, which one is correctly installed? If I look up under the one where the frame is nearly together, I can see the bushing, and it appears to be the same as the other one. I figure if I have to replace one, I should do both at the same time I am putting in the half shafts and new shocks. Thanks for the help! It has a vibration/rumble from the rear under hard acceleration or above 55 mph which is directly related to the above issues.

The bonus is that I found out it has an LSD! VERY little slop in it and clean oil!

Tim
    Attached Files

pics too small

Originally posted by vlad
    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

pics way to small but looks like at the minimum first pic shows one that is done. See the separation?

Replace rear shock mounts as well.
      sigpic
      New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
      %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

brb finding microscope

Comment

Hard to install them incorrectly.
          Driver's side looks blown/worn/perished/dead/etc.
          Passenger's side looks like it's hangin on yet.

God yes - install them in pairs.
          +1 on installing new shock mounts
          Advise to replace trailing arm bushings and inner, rear, rubber brake lines "while you're in there"
          Rear sway bar mounts/bushings and differential mount/bushing are other maintenance/wear items that are often replaced during this procedure.
          -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Thanks for the tips...here's one regarding pictures: hold down the control button and click on the + sign...the picture will get bigger. Maybe that will help!

One has a gap almost 3/4-1" , while the other is more like 1/4-3/8" gap.

Tim

Comment

ctrl + scroll wheel works as well.

Yeah - they're shot.
              If they're original (which is likely), they're in need of replacement.
              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Simon S,

Thanks...I will go ahead and replace them...ugh!

Tim

Comment

jjcarr came by yesterday and confirmed that the driver side subframe bushing is bad. With his help, I will be replacing both sides, the control arm bushings and the differential mount (if needed)at the same time. Thanks JJcarr!
                  FYI...his 318is is sweet!

Tim

Comment

Working...
                  X