Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 E36 318i Auto Trans HELP!

Hi Guys

I have a few questions hopefully you guys can help with. My Partner has a 1991 E36 318i, when she bought it ($5000) the autotrans started leaking, un-fortunatly we need to get a second hand one put in ($2500). It is a GM trans I can't remember exactly what kind. Anyways it has been 5 months and it has started leaking again.

So here are my questions.

1. To rebuilt the trans it would be about 5K at the mechanics. Why is it so much to rebuild a trans?

2. I have seen trans rebuild kits on the net for around $200 that seems as thought there is a big gap between what the mechanic charges. So what do these kind of kits include is there absolutely everything you need or are there some critical parts missing that make a rebuilt so expensive?

3. I have heard that ZF trans are better generally then GM is this true, and is there a ZF alternative for the E36 318i that could be put in? How difficult is this to do, what do you need to change?

Cheers Guys
    sigpic

if the trans isn't slipping.. find the leak and patch it. off you go!

They usually charge much "cuz it's german/foreign"

That rebuild kit is just parts, not labor. Autos require alot of skill and patience because of various and numerous intricate parts.

don't know about the last question but most early zf's sucked. The e36 ones are great.

Comment

Working...
    X