No announcement yet.

e46 guys.. (few ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those cars come with the typical late model BMW problems, as mentioned. As long as you have an E30 to back up the E46 when it needs work, you'll be just fine.

As a side note, they are very, very easy to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
      Those cars come with the typical late model BMW problems, as mentioned. As long as you have an E30 to back up the E46 when it needs work, you'll be just fine.

As a side note, they are very, very easy to work on.
      I beg to differ, installing angel eyes on my friend's E46 took 6 hours, 6 hours to install a circle filled with LEDs that clips inside the headlight housing! There's no screws to anything, just a bunch of tedious, brittle clips that never go back in the same way twice..
      Originally posted by TSI
      ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
      OEM+

Comment

That was just the e46's way of saying it didn't want angel eyes.

OP, go do some reading on e46fanatics.

Comment

Originally posted by dkbmxer002 View Post
          does the fact that it is tax, tag title out the door for $14.5k make it a better deal?
          No those are all fees a dealer hits you with to make extra money take my advice I use to sell cars! This is something that just added to our money we were making to begin with! If he's Gettin it for like 13,900 then make them give it to you out the door for that! Dealer fees and tax tag and title are already figured in to the price they gave him! And when the sales man came back and gives you the price he is trained to say plus tax tag and title to try and snag those extra bucks outta you! Don't pay em walk out and I guarantee you won't get far without him calling or running you down and saying he will take it! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Eecen View Post
            That was just the e46's way of saying it didn't want angel eyes.

OP, go do some reading on e46fanatics.
            X2 to both. I did my angel eyes in about 2 hours. No broken clips. Mainly because I got cold and went inside for a bit. Coupes are hard though. Have to bake the headlights.

M54B30 was voted, IIRC, Wards best engine of ?2003?
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Devier View Post
              M54B30s are darn near bulletproof. I love mine.
              Unless used in a race car, in which case the weird harmonics will break the oil pump. :)
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

IMO if it's manual and non M, the only BIG thing to check for is the rear subframe tearing out. Which is a free fix at the dealer. Everything else is just an annoyance.

EG my headliner is almost off of the C pillar. *shrugs* I don't care about that. Headlights took me 15 min to get out. Dunno why it took ppl HOURS.

I just replaced a lower control arm after an ice smash into a curb. Took 30 min. Including time for me to talk into the basement, get tools, and walk back out.

14.5 K is WAY too much. 12k sounds about right to me.

E46 ftw. I facking love mine so much more than my e36. Granted my E46 was 1000% more in price.

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                  Headlights took me 15 min to get out. Dunno why it took ppl HOURS.
                  Just for clarification, mine was an angel eye install. Not JUST taking the headlights out. That's like a 5 minute thing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                    Just for clarification, mine was an angel eye install. Not JUST taking the headlights out. That's like a 5 minute thing for me.
                    Then I think your point of E46s being hard to work on is invalid. Those are sealed systems that aren't meant to be opened. If you want to change a light, it pops right out. Corner lights were kind of a pain but still 15 min max.

That's like saying the M54B30 is a pita to work on because it's hard to turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                      Then I think your point of E46s being hard to work on is invalid. Those are sealed systems that aren't meant to be opened. If you want to change a light, it pops right out. Corner lights were kind of a pain but still 15 min max.

That's like saying the M54B30 is a pita to work on because it's hard to turbo.
                      I never said it was hard to work on. Just lots can go wrong with an e46 that has been neglected, as many are.

Comment

That price is way to high. Thinking 11000.00 tops. I see them all the time for sub 8k here in Dallas.

Subframe issue - very expensive and I think BMW has ceased the free inspections.
                        Rear light ground - 290.00 to repair. Per light at the dealer
                        330 brakes are larger, more expensive
                        CA and FCABs just suck, as all Bimmers do, but these are worse.
                        Interior quality is fair, compared to e9X its lux, but headliners and pillars are weak areas.
                        Autotrans in early models fail, no reverse, often.
                        Vanos in early 330's is sure to need a Besian treatment.
                        Power Steering pump and rack are notorious for failing.
                        Window regs are total POS. They will all need replacing before 100k miles. Bet on it.
                        Body build and overall build quality is good, but the above items and a few othes make the e46 a car you had better learn to DIY, or have deep pockets.

I'll take my e30's over my 330i 2002 sedan anyday. In fact I put the wife in the e46. Shes not a e30 fan. Lack appreciation for our chariots. So..
                        sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Working...
                        X