Help picking out an E30 for my brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help picking out an E30 for my brother

My brother is in Afghanistan and I've talked him into getting an E30. I'm not sure which one would be best for him though. I'm thinking a 4 door since he's got 2 little rugrats (his wife has a minivan). He wants something that is fun but also fairly practical. What kind of mileage should he expect out of a 325e or a 318i? I get 24-26 MPG in my 325i which is decent. I just dont know what to expect mileage/reliability/performance wise out of an eta or 318i. Any help, input, or advice is much appreciated.

Ryan A
    "Wow. We're just blowing through nap time, aren't we?"
    sigpic

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Originally posted by kinvodA View Post
    My brother is in Afghanistan and I've talked him into getting an E30. I'm not sure which one would be best for him though. I'm thinking a 4 door since he's got 2 little rugrats (his wife has a minivan). He wants something that is fun but also fairly practical. What kind of mileage should he expect out of a 325e or a 318i? I get 24-26 MPG in my 325i which is decent. I just dont know what to expect mileage/reliability/performance wise out of an eta or 318i. Any help, input, or advice is much appreciated.

Ryan A
    I average about 26mpg in my m42 318i with only city driving and I don't have a light foot.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Originally posted by trackjunkie21 View Post
      I average about 26mpg in my m42 318i with only city driving and I don't have a light foot.
      Same here.. an about 33-35 on the HW and thats with a mark-D
      sigpic
      HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
      " enjoy the show "

Comment

What about the eta? I imagine the 318i gets better mileage but I wonder how much, (if any) the eta performs better than the 318.
        sigpic

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

late model 318i 4 doors. I get 26-30mpg

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

M42>eta

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
              M42>eta
              Thats what I was thinking. I've test driven a few 318s and they seemed to move quick enough. They were pretty fun to drive.
              sigpic

Comment

m10 for the win! Go early model 318i ;)
                85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

...Still waitin for somebody to rep the ETA. The 318 guys have me pretty much convinced:D
                  sigpic

Comment

When is he back?
                    sigpic
                    New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                    %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

He literally JUST got there, but I'm watching Craigslist already, he should be home for R & R leave in about 4 months I'm guessing.
                      sigpic

Comment

I can only compare the M10 318i my friend had and my eta with a 3.73 LSD.
                        My car is much much faster and more fun to drive, people always get surprised how quick it is when I take them for a ride.
                        I'd imagine the M42 318is is much better than the early model 318.

Best way to decide would be test driving both of them if you get a chance.

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
                        2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

i sold my 325es for my 325iC. there is not 1 day that goes buy that i dont miss that car. i like to low in the rpms and the eta suited my foot better. and the 32mpg was really nice.
                          Much wow
                          I hate 4 doors

Comment

I love my eta its cool well atleast i think it is and gas milage is good to and its pretty quick with the 3.73
                            Originally posted by InuFaye
                            silver is old man color car. you need dat BRO-SECA BLUE.
                            Originally posted by blunttech
                            so true.. never let them know where you live..I almost ended up in jail when I was raping young women on craigslist
                            Originally posted by george graves
                            An S5x is like the girl you want to marry - an m30 is the girl you don't bring home to mom.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                              late model 318i 4 doors. I get 26-30mpg
                              Agreed, although I must say that m42's occasionally require engine surgery that ETA's might not. Depends on service records, your brother's skills, and the ODO reading.

Comment

Working...
                              X