• Show
Clear All

Aftermarket radio

I was wondering how hard it is to install an aftermarket radio

A couple of questions:
    Is there any direct fit?

I'm looking into this radio a Kenwood KDC-248U
    thanks

took me about 10 mins to hook mine up...
    and about 45 to hook my new one up sooooo no its not too hard as long as u know way ur doing.

yes its a direct fit if u use the metal piece it comes with
    sigpic
    ^Back in the game^
    BUILD THREAD: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=201281
    FS thread:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=214105

Comment

Originally posted by bloodshot-e30 View Post
      took me about 10 mins to hook mine up...
      and about 45 to hook my new one up sooooo no its not too hard as long as u know way ur doing.

yes its a direct fit if u use the metal piece it comes with
      What Radio do you have? and do you have any pictures?
      Im looking at something that doesnt look out of its place.

Comment

i used a JVC the first time and it looked fine it was an Mp1300 or sumthin like that.
        now i have a new kenwood and it looks allright too but i need one with 3 outputs aux and usb.
        sigpic
        ^Back in the game^
        FS thread:

Comment

Why not perhaps explain, rather than just... well, whatever it is you said there.

Details boys... details.
          sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Hey neighbor

Originally posted by mcruz121 View Post
            I was wondering how hard it is to install an aftermarket radio

A couple of questions:
            Is there any direct fit?

I'm looking into this radio a Kenwood KDC-248U
            thanks
            I need to install one myself. Let me know whats up with yours. I was thinking of taking to CarToys or something, not being especially electronically inclined.
            sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Originally posted by txtorquemade View Post
              I need to install one myself. Let me know whats up with yours. I was thinking of taking to CarToys or something, not being especially electronically inclined.
              Go buy a decent set of crimpers if you don't already have them. Your '87 is pretty easy to keep the stock amp setup and add an aftermarket deck...if the car is all stock and functional right now.

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                Go buy a decent set of crimpers if you don't already have them. Your '87 is pretty easy to keep the stock amp setup and add an aftermarket deck...if the car is all stock and functional right now.
                luke, dont you normally recommend bypassing the stock amp since the head unit generally creates more power?

Comment

Luke, link us some decent crimpers and recommend some connectors.

Comment

Luke is going to say...

GET CHANNELOCK CRIMPERS

Comment

Maybe, but which ones?

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                        Luke is going to say...

GET CHANNELOCK CRIMPERS
                        Really good if you're doing 100 butt splices a day (I bet Luke can fly with them), but they mangle the butt splice too much for my taste - they are way to aggressive.
                        Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

sorry for not clarefying everything earlier lol

but like they said wire cutters, strippers, and crimpers u should be good.

heres a pic of when i started friday night.

ill get installed pics of the kenwood if thats what your wanting.
                          Last edited by bloodshot-e30; 02-06-2011, 08:11 PM.
                          sigpic
                          ^Back in the game^
                          FS thread:

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                            luke, dont you normally recommend bypassing the stock amp since the head unit generally creates more power?
                            as far as absolute performance, yes, pretty much any aftermarket deck will out perform the stock amp. The issue here is that the '87 harness has only 5 signal wires going from the fader to the amp: 4 positives and 1 negative. In this case, he would need to run new wires up front and do a slightly different bypass than that other thread shows. I just did CKTafts car like that, took me like 20 minutes to run new wire and bypass the amp...but I have been doing this professionally for 30 years...a guy with zero experience might take all day, while that same guy can do an install (properly using the stock amp) in an hour, and still sound great and be reliable.

I say keep it simple, use the stock amp but bypass the fader. 10 wires total, simple stuff.

Oh yeah..channel lock crimps for sure. Yeah, they can be rough on the connector, you just don't need to mash them to death, only enough to make a solid connection.

And 100 a day? Shiiiiit....I have done literally 100 connections in half an hour back when I was young and strong!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I have a pioneer avic 2 navigation system in my car with the flip out screen. Was super simple to install it took me about 45 mins to install it

Comment

Working...
                              X