e30 325i vs e34 535i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 325i vs e34 535i

So, first off I'm new idk if this is the right place to ask this so forgive me if I'm wrong if its in the wrong spot feel free to move it!

Just like to state as well I'm a completely new to the whole car scene so go easy on me, just explain it and I'll be fine also this will be my first car too but I don't plan on thrashing it, okay maybe some fun here and there but mostly school/work. So down to the point I want to pick one of these cars lots of people would probably discourage me from buying such an old car but, I LOVE the feeling of putting hard work into something and after being proud of it so I don't mind spending money on either of these cars. I already know you can't just buy either one of these cars and drive it, theres alway gotta be something you gotta fix.

But what I need your guys help on is which of these cars would cost less to maintain, less problems, more parts so incase anything goes wrong and pros cons of both. Oh and I live in Ontario Canada.. Toronto to be exact so we get a fair share of snow I'd assume the 535i is better with the snow since it's a bigger heavier car, but I heard some people being okay with the e30.

So please guys point a guy in the right direction for a first car?

E30, and it will probably handle the snow better too.

The smaller, lighter car will help on fuel costs too. I can go an entire pay period between fillups in the E30. My fiver takes more fuel, a higher octane and burns through more.

But if the 535i was a 5 speed then I would be tempted to go that way.
    sigpic

Comment

e30
      '88 325i cabbie royal blau
      '91 325i cabbie calypso rot
      '92 318i cabbie laguna green
      ~I like all my b!tches topless ;-)~

Comment

E30 will definitely be the easier, less expensive car to maintain, as long as you don't mind doing timing belts. And no offense to anyone who owns a E34 535i, but I was bored with mine after 2 months.
        Mike

82 Alfa Spider (For Sale)
        86 944 Turbo
        87 CX25 TRD Turbo2
        89 405 Mi16
        89 Milano Verde
        89 Mondial t Coupe
        92 300D

Comment

E30 will be cheaper to run & easier to fix. It will also be a more rewarding drive on the backroads.

E34 is more car in every way. They are built extremely well. There are fewer cars more rewarding to drive on the highway. They are also very safe, as there is a ton of steel in them--literally. When I scrapped mine (fire) I pulled all the wheels, suspension, engine & trans. It still weighed in over 2,200#.

I miss it dearly.

Comment

You know what I did?

Bought one of each :)

But I realize that's not an option here. They are both very good cars. The e30 handles better and is more fun to drive. If it has an limited-slip it will do fine on snow tires. The e34 will probably be a bit quicker but it will use a lot more fuel and is much more comfortable to drive. They eat up highway miles. I've found both cars to be equally reliable.

Comment

as an owner of an e24, i would go with the e30. parts are a fair bit cheaper and readily available.
              and an e30 has the more fuel efficient M20, and not the gas guzzling M30. i put maybe 30 a week in the 6, but when i had my e30, i was only putting in 20. maybe

sigpic

Comment

go E30. Much more of a niche car, smaller, lighter, simpler, more aftermarket support. There is no need to drag around 4 doors and tons of trunk space, or in general, more steel if it's just you driving around, and you aren't raising a family. (which I am assuming you aren't if this is your first car)

Comment

I currently own both an e30 325is and an e34 535i with a 5 speed. They are entirely different cars. Parts are plentiful and cheap for both of them, and I've had great luck on repairs for both. I'd say there's not enough of a difference to make reliability or cost of repairs a factor.

Base your decision on what you want to drive each day. For a light, fun, tossable car, go with the e30 - also a plus for gas mileage. For a more refined, bigger, quieter highway ride, go with the 535i. I generally drive the e34 due to having 3 kids and needing the 4 doors and more space. When I want to drive like a boy racer, I go with the e30.

Comment

These two have very little in common.... get one of each ;)
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I had a e34 540i Big boy v8 for my first car and that was fun for like 3 months until I started having cooling system problems. BIG PAIN! Traded it for a 91 318 m20 swaaaaappp! LOVE IT my e34 was also a automatic and was a blast to cruise with but the e30 is SO much more fun. Good on gas. Easy to work on. First car should be an e30!

Comment

I would have to say e30 is cheaper due to the fact there are much less sensors then the e34. The amount of tech between the 2 is very big. E34 is great for highway cruising or if you are going to be driving with more then 2 people in your car on a reg basis. In truth you need to drive them both a decide for your self., Also e34 has a more complex suspension then the e34. More bushings to replace etc. Both engines are bulletproof, if maint properly.

On second thought your a young driver so its better to get the e34, and not crash a e30, plus the e34 is safer.
                        Last edited by naplesE30; 02-16-2011, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Can't go wrong with either one.

e30:
                          The best 3 series ever and one of the best enthusiast cars ever. Light, simple, easy to work on, easy to modify, abundance of aftermarket parts, big following/forums, no major problems.

e34:
                          Last good(classic) bmw. Last of the simple bmws although it does have more electronic systems and more complex suspension than the e30. Heavy, but comfortable and spacious compared to the e30. Known as one of the most reliable bmws.
                          Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Well I am a high school student yeah, I don't plan to go far with it so not much highway driving and I don't live in the city either I live in the suburbs so yeah no family as well obviously.

So I guess the e30 is the better choice? What would be the ideal kind of things and REALISTIC kind of things I though look in an e30? Such as condition of the body, kms, condition of the engine etc? What problems are OKAY to have with it and aren't that expensive to repair?

Comment

do some reSEARCH. The answers are already on this site, now go find them.

Comment

Working...
                              X