New Here... Buying Questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here... Buying Questions?

Hello all! Hopeful that your E30 experts can help me. I found a 86 325e with 123K on the odometer. It is in relatively good condition. A little surface rust, one rear window motor is out, A/C may or may not have a problem,
    the drivers seat is torn (needs replacement), and the dash has cracked. Shifts awesome (no grinds), engine is insanely quiet!

What do I need to know about this vehicle as far as common problems? Is this an expensive vehicle to own. I am not new to BMW's; I had a 96 318ti (Auto) that was a horrible maintenance nightmare.

a couple of pics:

Last edited by BUBBASGOPED; 05-06-2011, 11:11 AM.

123k is fairly low milage but make sure that the odometer still works. and $2,100 isnt too bad but it is a eta. ask for mileage on timing belt, water pump. they dont cost a lot to own just as long as then have been taken care of their whole lives, plus parts are VERY easy to find. Fix stuff before it fails! try to talk him down a bit, good luck.
    '90 325is DD, 5 spd swap-H&R springs-Euro Headlight Fully Built OBD1 M54b30. Ox Blood interior, 3.46 LSD with Z3M Diff Cover. Custom shifter, every bushing replaced.
    '86 325e- Donor car for swap/parts car
    '00 323i- BBS 197s Totalted
    '89 740 turbo Volvo- Donated

Comment

Originally posted by BMWerke View Post
      123k is fairly low milage but make sure that the odometer still works. and $2,100 isnt too bad but it is a eta. ask for mileage on timing belt, water pump. and they dont cost a lot to own just as long as then have been taken care of their whole lives. Fix stuff before it fails! try to talk him down a bit, good luck.
      He doesn't service it... He brings it to a respected service shop in my town. He told me he just had new drums put on! LOL the guy is not mechanical.
      Last edited by BUBBASGOPED; 05-06-2011, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BUBBASGOPED View Post
        He doesn't service it... He brings it to a respected service shop in my town. He told me he just had new drums put on! LOL the guy is not mechanical.

He wanted 2600 I got him to 2100 and I think he would go to 1900. He just had a new exhaust system put on header included.
        go for it
        '90 325is DD, 5 spd swap-H&R springs-Euro Headlight Fully Built OBD1 M54b30. Ox Blood interior, 3.46 LSD with Z3M Diff Cover. Custom shifter, every bushing replaced.
        '86 325e- Donor car for swap/parts car
        '00 323i- BBS 197s Totalted
        '89 740 turbo Volvo- Donated

Comment

What should I look for? before I buy?

Comment

any rust, check the undercarriage and the wheel wells.
            also make sure all vins on the car match,
            check the oil to make sure its not chocalatey or unhealthy looking.
            take it out for a spin and make sure the gearbox feels good and the engine is performing properly.
            good luck!
            i recently bought my first e30 a month or so ago,
            couldn't be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
              any rust, check the undercarriage and the wheel wells.
              also make sure all vins on the car match,
              check the oil to make sure its not chocalatey or unhealthy looking.
              take it out for a spin and make sure the gearbox feels good and the engine is performing properly.
              good luck!
              i recently bought my first e30 a month or so ago,
              couldn't be happier.
              Done all that. Shifts better than my 08 VW GLI!

Comment

Gor fer it. Engine and tranny sounds strong. All other problems can be fixed.

95% of the cars on this forum have cracked dashes
                '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
                current:
                '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
                '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Comment

look for rust around the spare tire, fender wells and underbody
                  feedback?!

4x100 32mm Wheel Spacers $70 Shipped

Comment

bimmerforums has a full writeup on what to look for when purchasing an e30. I haven't been on that site in a while but I'm sure it still stickied in the e30 subforum.

Originally posted by Ryan...
                    It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

Working...
                    X