Need new thermostat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need new thermostat?

I went for a 10 minute drive today and the temp gage went to 250 and went back to 240 really fast. it kept going back and forth and when i stopped it spilled coolant. Does my e30 need a new thermostat or a new radiator?
    Last edited by e30Hungry; 04-05-2011, 12:47 PM.

1987 - 325e Project / DD

more than that. you have a leak and may have just overheated ( thus needing a head gasket and other work )

Comment

Yeah i was thinking it might be a head gasket, but there was no sign of coolant in my oil, nor was there any smoke coming out of the tail pipe.

1987 - 325e Project / DD

Comment

Originally posted by e30Hungry View Post
        Yeah i was thinking it might be a head gasket, but there was no sign of coolant in my oil, nor was there any smoke coming out of the tail pipe.
        give it time. You might be lucky and you just need a new coolant hose or more. Is this and e30 you just picked up?

Comment

yea i picked it up last week

1987 - 325e Project / DD

Comment

yea i picked it up last week
            shoulda choulda got mine :D

JK , anyways good luck. What did you get? You better start buying replace ment parts and get rid of all that old crap.

Comment

its a 87 325e got it for really cheap so i was expecting problems.
              I changed all the fluids in it and a few cosmetics. Need to stop cosmetics and focus on this now, and yeah i am slowly going to do that.

1987 - 325e Project / DD

Comment

its a 87 325e got it for really cheap so i was expecting problems.
                I changed all the fluids in it and a few cosmetics. Need to stop cosmetics and focus on this now, and yeah i am slowly going to do that.
                etas are fun cars, make sure to flush everything , thermostats are cheap , pretty much all parts on a e30 are cheap. just takes time to do it.

Kinda miss my old eta, i mean it didnt have power like my vert but it was a fun car and looked pretty good.

Comment

Yeah, Thermostat is not a big problem. I am hoping it is the thermostat and nothing big. I have already flushed out the system.

And btw your Eta was beautiful, nice and clean and a nice drop ;]

1987 - 325e Project / DD

Comment

Yeah, Thermostat is not a big problem. I am hoping it is the thermostat and nothing big. I have already flushed out the system.

And btw your Eta was beautiful, nice and clean and a nice drop ;]
                    Check out BMA for cheap parts.
                    Yea i wish i never sold it, the guy who bought it ruined it. I thought i was getting a good deal trading it for a 94 325is... nope big fail. Thats why i went back to a e30 ( vert ) these car are vert dependable.

Comment

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post
                      Check out BMA for cheap parts.
                      Yea i wish i never sold it, the guy who bought it ruined it. I thought i was getting a good deal trading it for a 94 325is... nope big fail. Thats why i went back to a e30 ( vert ) these car are vert dependable.
                      Thanks man but i have a place to buy it already.

I plan on never selling my car. Lets see if that's possible :]

1987 - 325e Project / DD

Comment

Thanks man but i have a place to buy it already.

I plan on never selling my car. Lets see if that's possible :]
                        thats good man, ill tell you this tho.. Your going to want more power no matter what.

Comment

Maybe ill buy another coupe or is one in the future?

1987 - 325e Project / DD

Comment

Working...
                          X