Speedo works but Odometer doesn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo works but Odometer doesn't

I have a 90 325si that has just developed this problem, the odometer doesn't work, but the speedometer does. How can I determine what the problem is, and hopefully correct without spending tons. Thanks

fix your odo gears
    sigpic

Comment

wellcome to the e30 world where there is always something wrong
      #Treadlifematters

Comment

I haven't pulled the cluster on this car, I assume there are step by step instructions on this site, can you direct me to them?

Comment

probably but it is really very simple here are the directions.

1) Remove steering wheel- be sure steering wheel is unlocked when removing otherwise it will not come off.
          2) remove the two screws securing the instrument cluster bezel they are facing up toward the windshield
          3) remove bezel
          4) remove 4 screws securing the instrument cluster
          5) remove instrument cluster
          6) disconnect the connections

reverse for installation
          sigpic

Comment

buy NEW gears.
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

theres a guy here that replace the gears for 55 bucks
              no more boosted m20, 91 318i...

Comment

Originally posted by matias88e30 View Post
                theres a guy here that replace the gears for 55 bucks
                Somebody know who this guy is?
                Lance Richert '88 M3, #35 PRO3, i3 etc.
                www.LanceRichertArchitect.com

2019 E30 Picnic Weekend: June 22-23 2019

Comment

My car is a 90 model and has the airbag, the manual says to refer to authorized BMW dealer so as to not have it go off. Is there any way to get around this issue? Can you remove the cluster without removing the steering wheel?

Comment

I pulled the cluster on my 91 without taking the wheel off. That being said I still want to get the stinkin wheel off because I need to fix my wiper switch. You can work it around the wheel without too much difficulty.

Replaced the gears with new ones, worked consistently for about 2k miles, now it works about 20% of the time. Everything else in the cluster still works. Oh well.
                    sigpic
                    -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

Removing an airbag wheel.

step 1) disconnect battery wait 15-30 minutes to make sure residual charge is gone.
                      step 2) look behind the steering wheel there will be two holes with Torx screws at the bottom, unscrew them they will not come out leave them in there.
                      step 3) while performing step 2 make sure to hold airbag so it wont fall on the ground
                      step 4) pull connector off of the airbag
                      step 5) place airbag in a safe place and make sure it is situated in a way that if it does go off nothing will be shot across the room including the airbag itself.

then proceed with above said directions.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Car Addict View Post
                        Removing an airbag wheel.

step 1) disconnect battery wait 15-30 minutes to make sure residual charge is gone.
                        step 2) look behind the steering wheel there will be two holes with Torx screws at the bottom, unscrew them they will not come out leave them in there.
                        step 3) while performing step 2 make sure to hold airbag so it wont fall on the ground
                        step 4) pull connector off of the airbag
                        step 5) place airbag in a safe place and make sure it is situated in a way that if it does go off nothing will be shot across the room including the airbag itself.

then proceed with above said directions.
                        all this but do not connect your battery back until the steering wheel is in place and secure. otherwise you will get the SRS warning forever more
                        '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

second... cluster comes out without pulling steering wheel. (i have 3 spoke sport wheel)

Comment

I just re wired my differential wire, then it started working.
                            But the above statements sounds more likely.

Fast life fuck slow..Low life for life
                            Let the mix flow..Let the night flow
                            I'm so gone ✗ ♥ O

Comment

Originally posted by IminDiegoTriick View Post
                              I just re wired my differential wire, then it started working.
                              But the above statements sounds more likely.
                              /Thread jack. How much did you rewire? My Speedo isnt working and this might be the culprit.
                              Originally posted by Sonny
                              I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Working...
                              X