iphone dyno apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iphone dyno apps

so i saw a couple choices in apps store, just bought my iphone btw.
    dynolicious
    rev it up
    bosch tuning

best recommended?
    im gonna try bosch first, i'll report back on that.

None of them work, save your money.

Edit: but it did calculate that my car has somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200 hp, so that's pretty good I guess.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

i know they dont really work. but which one is the best to get?
      just for dicking around with?

Comment

Dynolicious has been around for a long time and it works fine. They all do the same thing so just get whatever is cheapest.

Comment

fasho

Comment

Dynolicious estimated my HP and was within 4 of the actual number. I'm happy with it!
            sigpic

Comment

How do these apps work? Do they use the accelerometer or the GPS? Either way I don't think it would be that accurate.
              Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

i read it used acceleromete and gps for some stuff.
                tests things like 0-60, g-turns, 1/4 mile, and some other stuff thats not in free versions.

apparantly dynolicious was in car and driver or some other reputable magazine...lol
                one of the comments said it estimated his HP pretty close to a real dyno....but i think it can help calculate how much power mods will add...
                i dont feel like buying the real version yet, but am gonna play with the free "rev" version for a bit

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                  How do these apps work? Do they use the accelerometer or the GPS? Either way I don't think it would be that accurate.
                  Accelerometer is accurate enough to guide an aircraft over thousands of miles in the absence of GPS. Its good enough for an acceleration test.

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                    Accelerometer is accurate enough to guide an aircraft over thousands of miles in the absence of GPS. Its good enough for an acceleration test.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia...rtial_guidance
                    I would not compare an accelerometer or a gyroscope on an iphone to that of an aircraft navigation system. They differ in accuracy by orders of magnitude.

That said, the iphone hardware is accurate enough to give you a decent estimate of your 1/4 mile time and power.
                    Last edited by Wh33lhop; 04-06-2011, 06:50 PM. Reason: gay

Comment

so what we are agreeing on is...the iphone can fly a plane?
                      yep, that sums it up.

Comment

I don't doubt that. What meant was that it's not particularly accurate at measuring horsepower. It is probably very accurate at measuring change in velocity but horsepower isin't necessarily a one to one correlation with acceleration. Case in point would be the characteristics of a turbo vs NA cars with the same horsepower. The turbo might have slight lag then the boost kicks in and there's a lot of sudden acceleration whereas with the NA car it's much more linear and it might pull for longer up to higher RPM in a given gear. Also, I assume you put the weight of the car in there but then there's also factors like the transmission and gear ratios.

And giving an example where it measured HP accurately doesn't mean much because it will be more accurate with certain combinations of HP, weight, gears, transmission, etc and less accurate with others.

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                          I don't doubt that. What meant was that it's not particularly accurate at measuring horsepower. It is probably very accurate at measuring change in velocity but horsepower isin't necessarily a one to one correlation with acceleration. Case in point would be the characteristics of a turbo vs NA cars with the same horsepower. The turbo might have slight lag then the boost kicks in and there's a lot of sudden acceleration whereas with the NA car it's much more linear and it might pull for longer up to higher RPM in a given gear. Also, I assume you put the weight of the car in there but then there's also factors like the transmission and gear ratios.

And giving an example where it measured HP accurately doesn't mean much because it will be more accurate with certain combinations of HP, weight, gears, transmission, etc and less accurate with others.
                          WRONG
                          It doesn't care about lag. It only looks at your peak acceleration vs the weight and drivetrain loss you entered. Its as accurate as you want it to be. Put zero for your drivetrain loss and you'll find out how much HP you're putting to the ground.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                          I would not compare an accelerometer or a gyroscope on an iphone to that of an aircraft navigation system. They differ in accuracy by orders of magnitude.

That said, the iphone hardware is accurate enough to give you a decent estimate of your 1/4 mile time and power.
                          All the INS systems made today are solid state. The chip set is different (read higher quality, multiple independent points of measure) but its still essentially the same technology as your phone.

Comment

WRONG
                            It doesn't care about lag. It only looks at your peak acceleration vs the weight and drivetrain loss you entered.
                            Did you read anything else I wrote? The point in my example is that the turbo car would have greater peak acceleration so it would read higher than a NA car with the same HP. Peak acceleration does not directly correlate to HP in many cases. Peak acceleration could be right after the car is launched from a standstill. In that case than a AWD car would have an advantage over a RWD car with the same HP.

Comment

Just get the fuck out already. Damn.
                              Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Working...
                              X