Quick m42/cop question/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick m42/cop question/help

Noting that black (I assume ground) coil wire is thick - with an inner/insulated/black wire.

When I wrap things up, is it OK for the inner and outer black wires to be intertwined?

Thanks for any help.
    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Here’s a picture:

I've reviewed some DIYs on this - can't seem to find any detail on that inner/outer black wire.

my gut tells me it’s OK to intertwine inner and outer black wires and treat them as one when soldering things back together(?)

Comment

Noooooooooo. That is the cables shielding.
      what you did to this car is like getting a supermodel naked and willing to do anything you please. now here you are faced with ths once in a lifetime opportunity and then you squander it by making her fuck you in the butt with a 24" strap on. you are a sad, silly little boy.

Comment

Can you explain better?

Are coil wires connected in sets of 3 - or sets of 4 ?

3) green + brown + two black wires
        or
        4) green + brown + inner black wire + outer black wire ?

Edit: I now understand shielding a bit more - it acts as a protectant to inner wire - and should not be in contact with it.
        Last edited by Simon S; 04-12-2011, 10:52 PM. Reason: Enlightenment

Comment

Damn shielded wire. I didn't foresee this.

I've seen installs with neatly trimmed-to-fit wires – but am not coming up with how the shielded wire is best addressed.

So far – I’ve gathered that shielding wire should NOT touch inner wire.

After google searching “splicing shielded wire” – I’m finding DIYs where:
          1 - Inner wire is soldered up and covered with heat shrink tubing.

2 – “Wire mesh tape” or foil is applied over heat shrinked inner wire. In some instances – just making sure shielding wire ends connect “does the trick”.

3 – Apply outer jacket of heat shrink tubing over everything.

Again – any input or guidance on this topic would be greatly appreciated. I guess what I really need to know now is what exactly is the shielding’s purpose – and how to best maintain its integrity in a soldered splice.

Comment

i have nothing constructive to add except for props on the thoroughness.

-
            Project
            Parts for Sale
            Feedback
            YouTube Channel

Comment

Thanks man - I don't like doing stupid shit if I can help it..

.. and Mods - thanks for understanding and letting this thread get some exposure here in General Discussion.

Comment

Working...
              X