Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318 with m20 swap

I just picked up a 91 318is that has an m20 from a 325is
    I don't know if the cluster was swapped or maybe the rear end gears, but it's revving extra high. 4500 rpm cruising at 70mph
    Any ideas?? Thanks

Originally posted by gotEdirty? View Post
    I just picked up a 91 318is that has an m20 from a 325is
    I don't know if the cluster was swapped or maybe the rear end gears, but it's revving extra high. 4500 rpm cruising at 70mph
    Any ideas?? Thanks
    At 70mph I'm usually doing 3k.

I've got an m20 with the "I" head, and 3.73 gears. The only reason you'd be reving so high is if you had a 4.10 diff or if they didn't change the cluster (imo) I'm sure someone else will have some insight.

Comment

at what rpm does it idle?

Comment

the coding plug in the cluster is for a 318 then i would assume
        sigpic

Comment

It idles at 900ish. I've been told it could be the 4.10 gearing. How would I know what cluster is in it? I can't get ahold of the guy who did the swap. Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

does it say motometer?

Comment

No not that I know of

Comment

Yes it does say motometer! And also k7784 sae? Let me know if you guys know anything thx!

Comment

Originally posted by gotEdirty? View Post
                  Yes it does say motometer! And also k7784 sae? Let me know if you guys know anything thx!
                  Car still has the stock 4 cyl cluster. 100% sure.

Comment

Coding plug, Had to swap it on my Swap.

Comment

70 mph should be right around 3600 revs with a g240 and a 4.10 diff, iirc.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

hmm.... If it was the diff, I would have imagined this very easy to tell by the sound of the motor, lol. 3600 sounds about right for 4.10 gearing. I'm at 3k+change @ 70mph with my 3.73lsd. Then again, I dont know how different the gearing is between the g240 & g260(what I have).

Originally posted by Ryan...
                        It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

Working...
                        X