Help me get an accurate idea of what my car is worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me get an accurate idea of what my car is worth

Having gotten my e30 to the point I want it with mods and maintenance, I've also realized I think I may have something quite solid on my hands that I should care for. With all the idiots on the road and my previous 330i having been total'ed without full coverage (stupid, I know)... I want to make sure nothing similar happens with this, and that my insurance policy is commensurate to what the car is.

So help me gauge how much it would be worth on the open market, and no, it's not for sale, it's my only car that I drive. This more for my own reference- or even yours.

Quick info:

• 1991 318is, sunroof car, brilliantrot

• 5sp, AC

• Everything on it works

• No leaks or noises

• Body is great from 5 feet away, but with dings and scratches normal for a 20 year old car

• Only rust is a small spot under the battery tray (yeah yeah, it is a midwest car after all)

and for the kicker-

a 2" folder with every single bit of maintenance or repair required, done at a suburban BMW dealership up until 2007. I counted about $20k of receipts that the first owner kept.

In addition to this- JOM coils, front suspension refresh, Graf water pump and thermostat that I did in the last few weeks. Just from Jan 1st to Feb 1st I put on 3k miles without a single hiccup or sign of hesitation.

Is $5-6k out of line for a car like it?

I'm seeing $3500-$4750. But the right buyer would give you $5500.

Comment

I agree with Farbin, I'd have had no problem spending 4k for that back when I was looking. In my opinion 5-6k would be a stretch though; that's getting into clean M50 swap territory.

1987 325e - 5 speed - Mods: 3.25 LSD, Mark D Chip, Bilstein HD's, Ansa Sport

Comment

I think this is more in terms of what he should insure it for.. if he can get a stated-value policy.

In that case, I would say $6K. A super clean example like that with an extensive known history is getting rarer and rarer.

Comment

about 4-5k

Comment

Sell it in California and you'll get your 5.5k for it.
            I've sold stock 318is's for 4k.
            world renown Harry Potter expert
            sigpic

Comment

With those BBS wheels and coils, $5k easy.

Comment

$4,500-5,500
                sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
                1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
                1991 318is - Sold
                1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

~$4k ish. Nice though.
                  WTB E30. Right now $1500+ Vert or 4 door only.

Price range will increase every month.

Comment

The car is 20 years old... most of the old receipts are worthless. I have a huge stack from the dealer with a ridiculous amount of items replaced ($700 AFM), but those only appeal to a CL buyer.

Any replacement of timing components. They're probably going south at that mileage.

What was included in your front suspension rebuild? Anything done to the rear?

Has anything else been replaced/upgraded? Brakes?

I wouldn't consider the JOM coilovers an upgrade.

With the BBS wheels, $4800 if you're willing to wait for a buyer. With stock 'weaves, $4k.

I'd insure it for $5k thought as they're becoming harder and harder to find.
                    Originally posted by Gruelius
                    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Keep it for another 10 or 20 years with all of those receipts and it'll be worth more like a classiccccc :D
                      It's pretty nice that you get to have the history of your car. I want to do a carfax someday on my car and see some history.

"The Camry is an appliance, not a car. It attracts folks who have the same regard for driving that they have for washing dishes,
                      i.e. it's a necessary but somewhat unpleasant chore and they want something to make the task a little easier and insulate them from the process."
                       - my friend, Número Veintiséis

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I'll definitely make sure my insurance covers the 5k mark in case something were to happen- as I was fortunate enough to have gotten away with the car for much less in the first place.

And everyone including the BBSs in the pricing... ha! I've learned that any time a sale were to be involved in the car, to remove all and any possible mods since they're not worth that much to the buyer.

I see the car sticking around for some time, as I've never been more enamored with a vehicle I spent so little on, but got so much joy out of. The same does not go for other newer BMWs I've owned (e36 M3, 330i) where even the smallest repairs are several hundred dollars, as fun as they may have been to drive.

Comment

Working...
                        X