To add extra gauges or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add extra gauges or not?

YO! I got a nice 1987 S52 going on and some have recommended putting an extra oil pressure and amp gauges, some say it's overkill. Opinions anyone? Add anything else?

Thanks

do what ever floats ur boat dude its your car
    Originally posted by InuFaye
    silver is old man color car. you need dat BRO-SECA BLUE.
    Originally posted by blunttech
    so true.. never let them know where you live..I almost ended up in jail when I was raping young women on craigslist
    Originally posted by george graves
    An S5x is like the girl you want to marry - an m30 is the girl you don't bring home to mom.

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBeanE30 View Post
      do what ever floats ur boat dude its your car

1987 - 325e Project / DD

Comment

meh. gererally overkill - but the reassurance is nice.

Mostly, I'm anti-clutter when it comes to interiors though..
        -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Oil pressure? Maybe. Ammeter? Throw in a narrowband, voltmeter and a big tach with a shift light while you're at it.

Comment

Hi, I have oil, amps, and volt gauges in my car put in by po. I have brought a good used console and will return it to original which will give me three less things to look at when I am driving and enjoying my M3, in the long run it costs more to return it back to original than it would have to install the gauges.
            Dave.

Comment

Jesus - amp and volt gauges are just ghey.

Why the fuck would you want to monitor your battery?
              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

did the car start? yep, the battery is still there

Comment

its what every car needs, i have 3 of them. makes my crack free dash look awesome and adds 20hp (well its suposed to, i only got 17 on the dyno)

Comment

If your tracking the car, then maybe throw in some gauges, but if you are just street driving it keep the interior clean. Oil pressure would be the only gauge I would have in a street driven N/A car.

Comment

My two cents ...

Personally, I like knowing what's going on under the hood, especially with respect to oil pressure. An idiot light isn't much help if it triggers at 4-6 psi and you're running a weak 7-9. Theoretically, you could go weeks driving without proper pressure before the light even flickers, at which point your engine could be well on its way to failure. An E30's oil level warning is some help, but it's monitoring volume; not pressure.

Meanwhile, there's a reason an E30 M3 has an oil temp gauge instead of the standard E30's fuel economy meter. It's a bad idea to fully rev your engine until your motor oil has reached the proper temperature. More of an issue for a race car? No question. But I'll err on the side of caution, especially if I want peg the tach on a regular basis.

Finally, as for a voltmeter, sure, if your car starts, things are probably OK. However, monitoring volts can be a great tool for troubleshooting your entire electrical system and can warn you ahead of time if your alternator is failing or if you have ground issues relating to certain components and systems. It's always better to address something under the hood before it leaves you stranded. As for an amp metter, there used to be a fire hazard associated with running them, but I'm assuming modern gauges have that sorted out. Best to double-check if you're determined to monitor amps rather than volts.

Re the clutter issue, that's a matter of form versus function. The setup I have -- it's an old Dinan/VDO package with white needles -- seems to blend well with the standard interior and it takes me a split second to determine whether everything is where it should be. However, some gauges/packages will look better than others ... I'm guessing some can look pretty ghetto.

If I had it to do over again -- and could have seen the future -- I'd have held off in favor of the Alpina style/center vent-based setup MC Hammered is working up. Seems like it's going to be a great product and I'd still have that handy storage area for iPod, glasses, etc.
                      Attached Files
                      ainadude
                      Indian Wells, CA

sigpic

1991 325i 2dr. 5sp, delphin, w/freshly re-skinned IS sport seats/15" Ronal cross-spokes

1976 Triumph Spitfire w/1.8-liter Miata engine/transmission, koa dash with TR6 oil/volt gauges, lowered suspension, 14" Minilite replicas and more

2004 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X