Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here ever paint their car by themselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here ever paint their car by themselves?

my bronzit's paint isnt TOO terrible, but it wouldn't hurt to get a paint job. Just wondering if anyone's ever painted their car by themselves. Going to do it at my friend's place in his garage, in which we will completely clean and try to remove as much dirt around as possible and vent it. We have the compressor and just trying to look for a good gun. But just wondering if anyone here has done it, if so, how'd it come out? Not talking about roller paint jobs either..
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

check the body&paint section. if i remember correctly someone painted their car red in a garage and it came out great

Comment

I've done it a few times. The key isin the prep of both the car and the area you are painting in. Spend lots of time cleaning everything. No oily stuff around when u do it either or you'll be wasting your time.

Good materials and spray gun help a bunch too.

Comment

Originally posted by bzboardz View Post
        check the body&paint section. if i remember correctly someone painted their car red in a garage and it came out great
        The guy hasn't replied to the thread, but I bumped it

Originally posted by urbancynic View Post
        I've done it a few times. The key isin the prep of both the car and the area you are painting in. Spend lots of time cleaning everything. No oily stuff around when u do it either or you'll be wasting your time.

Good materials and spray gun help a bunch too.
        Any example of your work and how much you've ended up paying all together?
        Originally posted by TSI
        ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
        OEM+

Comment

I might still have some pics, but I won't be able to look until tomorrow morning.

Didn't take pictures of many of them though because I didn't think about it and most of them weren't my cars.

I'll find what I can though.

Comment

While I haven't done it - I know the key is all in the prepwork..

Hours and hours and hours of painstaking prepwork.
            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

http://jalopnik.com/5805154/how-i-pa...york-apartment

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
              click here for details

Comment

Find a paint guy that works out of his house/on the side.

You're likely to find someone who will do a great job for significantly less than shop prices and probably still cheap enough to not screw with yourself.

But thats just from this lazy guy who doesn't want to burn his fingers off sanding.
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Jackbenny318is painted his car in a barn. Check his build thread out.

Comment

I did this in the driveway with rattle cans because I was tired of the faded flat black the po had on there and I was unemployed.

There were a few others, but I don't have any pictures.

Comment

I've done 4 - mostly air cooled vw restorations. Always had problems with crappy sealers and zinc-rich primers bleeding through that I should have coated with another layer of real primer. My finished products always seemed "softer" than a pro job - a combination of not being able to bake it, and using cheap paint. All in all they came out nice, but you always notice the things you screwed up.
                      Also, paint is expensive - get an HVLP.

Comment

Im in the process of painting my car. You can check out my build thread if you want to see pics. Im 17 now, and it isn't exactly hard. Just very tedious doing prepwork and getting everything smooth. Painting in my sideyard and driveway.

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Ive done it, Painting is very easy its the prep work that kills you :D

Comment

Working...
                          X