Oil leakage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leakage

Ok i had some oil leakage today after my test drive from changing my oil. I went from dino to synthetic.

Right after while the engine is still running in my driveway, the leakage appears to be trickling at least from the oil filter housing or from start of either 2 lines that go to/from the oil cooler. Leak was going at a rate of approx. 1-2 drops per second.

I retightened the oil filter and then cleaned up those areas in the above sentence. I went for a test drive to see if i could reduplicate the leak. Jacked up the car. Got underneath to inspect those areas yet nothing leaked. Did this 2 more times and haven't got any leaks so far.

I have never gone synthetic before but i have read about that the smaller molecules in synthetic will find holes that dino oil cant.

so im kinda perplexed if the leak will come back or not. Im gonna pack the trunk with more oil in case.

M20B25
    Mann Filter
    Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40
    186k Miles

Can anyone share if this happened to you or similar going from dino to synthetic?

Make sure you didnt double Gasket the filter. Ive heard more times then not switching to synthetic will cause leaks. Other people have said otherwise.
    1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
    1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
    1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
    1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
      Make sure you didnt double Gasket the filter. Ive heard more times then not switching to synthetic will cause leaks. Other people have said otherwise.
      oh good call. i often get lazy checking the oil filter housing because its blocked by the headers.

Comment

Working...
      X