My throttle cable snapped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My throttle cable snapped

about 15 blocks away from my house. at first I freaked out, then realized I had zip ties and shit was all good.
    Zip tied my throttle body 1/4th open
    idle at 3000rpm
    drive home like a boss

Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Your story..

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

nicely done. You get a gold star for the day

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
        Your story..
        it's cool.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
        i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
        Originally posted by slammin.e28
        Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
          it's cool.
          chea.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I recall someone on here tying a shoe lace to the throttle and driving the car home by yanking the lace when he needed to go faster.

Comment

^ Hahahaha

I just went out and TRIED to replace mine. I failed twice.

Haha the little pin that goes in the one plastic piece I dropped, and it went under the intake manifold. Then I grab the old one and try again, and same thing happens :( Ill go out and try again tomorrow.

By the way.. vise grips are the best way to get the connector off the firewall.

Comment

Well done on the improv..

Note to self: stock zipties in trunk
                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                  Well done on the improv..

Note to self: stock zipties in trunk

this. they are the tool I use most on my car!

Comment

You can also just let out the clutch uber slow (riding it), or adapt if you have functioning cruise control. I had one snap on the freeway, and thats what I did. Neither are good for the old m20 lump.
                    sigpic

Comment

nice work. 99% of the population would have been stuck trying to get a tow truck.

Originally posted by Roysneon
                      $5 shipped?
                      Originally posted by MarkD
                      You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

^ Haha youre damn right.

I JUST finished replacing mine.

Van Westervelt recommended a few years ago in old friend to use a vise grip to squeeze the black plastic connector on the firewall... worked like a charm.

I had trouble because first I couldnt get that connector out, then I did.

Next I put the new connector in, and tugged on the end in the engine bay to make sure it was secure, we bad idea. The wire's covering pulled out of the metal connector. I wrapped a 3/8" inch wide strip of duct tape around it, then shoved it back in. Then I used half a width of duct tape to wrap around both the metal connector and the sheath, to make certain it would be fine.

Next problem was the little metal pin in that white (mine was yellow :() connector on the actual throttle. I was wrestling it into place and dropped it under the intake manifold. So I grabbed the old one and tried again... same story. Damn it! So I was fucked. I called it a night... that was yesterday. I was gone all day today, but when I got home at 9:30 I went out and grabbed the flashlight and a magnetic reach tool and retrieved BOTH of the pins! Yay!

This time I just got smart and slid the pin in through the bottom, much easier.

Then the white connector that screws on, well I put mine on with the end with the threads on first. Bad mistake, I couldn't get the cable tight enough to get out the slack. So I took it off and reversed it, much better! Haha I actually overtightened it and started the car, it revved up to like 2200rpm. Way too high!

Then I took the car out around the neighborhood with my Mom riding shotgun, hauled ass through this hairpin, M20 auto shifting at 6500rpm FTW! I let off at 5 over the limit though.

Sorry for the thread jack, but clif notes:

- Use vise grips on firewall connector
                        - Dont yank too hard
                        - Put the white connector on with the skinny end going on first.

Comment

Working...
                        X