ETA flywheel to I Flywheel conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ETA flywheel to I Flywheel conversion?

I have been reading everything I can online about swaping the I Flywheel into my 1987 325e and have come up with a good idea. I just looking for some input.

So the swap itself is prity straightforward, use i flywheel with shorther flywheel bolts and use an i clutch kit.

Now there is one problem and that is the eta flywheel has a small pin located on the flywheel that the reforence sensor reads to determine Crank Position.

So here is my idea and I just want to know if any of you think it might work or not and why.

If i just take the i flywheel and drill a hole and put a pin in the same place that the ETA flywheel has the sensor then my problem would be solved and i should be able to run the 325i flywheel on my ETA.
    So let me know what you guys think. Im only doing this because I dont want to try and resurface the DMF and im not buying a new one for 800$.

You can swap over to Motronic 1.3. It uses a crank position sensor on a toothed wheel at the front of the crankshaft.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I'm just looking to swap the flywheel when I do the clutch. I belive the I and e flywheel and the same diameter and have the same teeth. I don't see why I couldn't use a compass mesure where the eta flywheel reforence pin is and put it on the i flywheel.

Comment

Easier yet to find an early ETA flywheel. Single mass and has the sensors.

However, M1.3 gives you many more tuning options and can be done fairly inexpensively.

Drop an 885 head on your ETA block, add the B25 intake/TB/AFM and such, your car will run and hide from a stock M20B25. Change it to SETA pistons and it can be even quicker than that!

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

However, M1.3 gives you many more tuning options and can be done fairly inexpensively.

Drop an 885 head on your ETA block, add the B25 intake/TB/AFM and such, your car will run and hide from a stock M20B25. Change it to SETA pistons and it can be even quicker than that!
          I understand that I could find a older eta flywheel but I already have a i flywheel laying around.

If I upgraded to m1.3 and add the parts you listed my car would most likely be slower if I didn't get seta pistons.
          So back to my original question. Would putting the reforence tab on the 325i flywheel alowe it to work like the eta flywheel so my car would still start.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

i like this post!

If you're feeling frisky with your money Bimmerworld sells a pretty nice lightweight flywheel/clutch combo. Close to $800 though...
            -Alex

Comment

Adding the pin should work, but you will want to be as exact as possible. I.E. - Don't do it with a kids school protractor and a hand drill. A mill with an indexing table would be best. Might consider having a machine shop do it.

Comment

Yeah thats the thing. Im trying to save money. Using the i flywheel with the ETA reforence tab on it would be a good upgrade anyway(if it can work).

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                  Adding the pin should work, but you will want to be as exact as possible. I.E. - Don't do it with a kids school protractor and a hand drill. A mill with an indexing table would be best. Might consider having a machine shop do it.

Thank you! that was the kind of answer I was looking for. Im taking the i flywheel to get resurfaced tomorrow so I will ask them about it.

I just wish i wasnt the first person ro do this so I could know if it was going to work or not.

Comment

Originally posted by 321demot View Post
                    I understand that I could find a older eta flywheel but I already have a i flywheel laying around.

If I upgraded to m1.3 and add the parts you listed my car would most likely be slower if I didn't get seta pistons.
                    So back to my original question. Would putting the reforence tab on the 325i flywheel alowe it to work like the eta flywheel so my car would still start.
                    Sure, if you are precise enough with the pins, and it seems like you are pretty stuck on your idea, so go do it.

You already have the dual mass to measure from, right?

And it would be MUCH quicker with the 885/M1.3 setup. There are plenty of them around, not some bullshit internet bench racing shit, actual cars that run and drive... and kick the shit out of a stock M20B25. Dyno testing has proven it, do your research.

It is only .3 static compression ratio, has virtually nothing to do with actual pumping pressure.

Closing SOON!

Comment

So 885 head with eta pistons and 'i' ECU?

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                        So 885 head with eta pistons and 'i' ECU?
                        + seta pistons.

Comment

Nope, just ETA pistons. Sure, SETA are better, but that particular combo will smoke tires in 3rd gear all day, runs and hides from a stock M20B25.

Ask DashboardMonkey. His car spanks the shit out of mine.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                          X