Someone PLEASE help me w/ Koni part #s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone PLEASE help me w/ Koni part #s

This thread seems to be dead, and no one is responding, and here is an outstanding issue that I need addressed like today, since I need to be ordering these shocks ASAP:

WHY does the 8641 1021 / 80 2522 combo work in late 6 cyl E30s and NOT late 4cyl E30s?? according to this post:

Originally posted by .cj. View Post
    1210= large diameter strut tube 4cyl.

1021= large diameter strut tube 6cyl.

If your car has Bilsteins or OE Bilsteins, you'll need new gland nuts.

Cris
    So if that is the case, WHY is the 1021/2522 combo listed on Koni NA for a 318i (a 4 cyl), while the SAME combo is ALSO listed for a 325i/325e etc (6 cyl)? And then WHY is the 1991 318is Koni part numbers different?? (1210/2641) Only because of the different travel distance and damping rate?? In the linked thread, someone also very specifically said that the 1210/2641 combo does NOT work in an '88 M20 car: (the fronts, anyway)

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    I tried 8641-1210 fronts in m20 housings (88' model year), and they don't work. The drop in nicely until the last inch, then stop early.
    So how then will it work in an M42 car, when the strut tubes are the same PN from the factory?

This is all very confusing, and please, anyone w/ experience PLEASE clarify.

Thanks.

Here is a screenshot of the two different shock options for the late E30. Three listings, two are the same (318i and 325) and one unique (318is).

Comment

I installed the 8641 1210 sports on both my m42 sedan and my m20 vert with no problem. The struts housings are no different between the two cars.

My understanding is the 1210 designation is for lowered cars (see the note on the koni website indicating that the 1021s are for non-mtechnic cars), and the 16v 318iS is lumped in to the same category as m-tech cars because they came with sport suspension.

cliff notes

1021 - stock ride height cars with 51mm housings, eg. 318i (m42), 325
      1210 - lowered cars with 51mm housings, eg. 318iS (M42), m-techniks

If you are going to use them with lowering springs, then get the 1210s for sure.
      Last edited by robrez; 07-06-2011, 02:43 PM.
      sigpic
      January 2012 COTM

Comment

^^^ See?? THAT is the kind of feedback that I am looking for!! Some actual experience, rather than the nebulous and confusing responses from the people at Koni and other speculators, thanks!!!!

So my brother in law needs Konis for his 1990 318i 4-door, and he is also running Eibach Pro-Kit springs. So use the 1210/2641 combo, and NOT the 1021/2522 combo?

Interesting that Mike (quoted in first post) explicitly states that the 1210 fronts did NOT fit in his '88 M20 car...

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
          ^^^ See?? THAT is the kind of feedback that I am looking for!! Some actual experience, rather than the nebulous and confusing responses from the people at Koni and other speculators, thanks!!!!

So my brother in law needs Konis for his 1990 318i 4-door, and he is also running Eibach Pro-Kit springs. So use the 1210/2641 combo, and NOT the 1021/2522 combo?

Interesting that Mike (quoted in first post) explicitly states that the 1210 fronts did NOT fit in his '88 M20 car...
          Definitely use the 1210s for the front. For the rear you can use the 2641s or the 2522SP1 which are specified for the e30 m3. Or do what I did with my vert and install top adjustable mustang koni struts 8041-1186-Sport. From my understanding the 1186s are fine as long as you are not using very high springs rates. They should be OK for any off-the-shelf aftermarket spring sets such as H&R and Eibach.

I bought my 1210's from Mike
          sigpic
          January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
            Definitely use the 1210s for the front. For the rear you can use the 2641s or the 2522SP1 which are specified for the e30 m3. Or do what I did with my vert and install top adjustable mustang koni struts 8041-1186-Sport. From my understanding the 1186s are fine as long as you are not using very high springs rates. They should be OK for any off-the-shelf aftermarket spring sets such as H&R and Eibach.

I bought my 1210's from Mike
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=189792

Ha ha! So let me get this straight: Mike couldn't get his 1210 fronts to fit in his M20 car, you buy them, and put them in your M20 car.

So where is the discontinuity? Why didn't they fit in Mike's car?
            Last edited by iamsam; 07-06-2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Ha ha! So let me get this straight: Mike couldn't get his 1210 fronts to fit in his M20 car, you buy them, and put them in your M20 car.

So where is the discontinuity? Why didn't they fit in Mike's car?
              True story, and I have no idea why he says they didn't fit. I'm fairly certain that all 51mm strut housings across the e30 line (including m3) are the same.
              sigpic
              January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
                True story, and I have no idea why he says they didn't fit. I'm fairly certain that all 51mm strut housings across the e30 line (including m3) are the same.
                Oh I am also certain!! That is why what Mike says is so confusing! The part numbers on realOEM for all 51mm strut housings are identical.

Comment

Has anyone seen the 1210 and 1021 side by side? Are they physically exactly the same, just valved differently?
                  When buying my 1021 a couple weeks ago (yellow TA for 51mm strut), I was also told that the 1210 wouldn't work without "changes to the suspension" probably meaning strut housing.

I also read that some guy had Konis in his E30 that had the adjustment knobs somehow prolonged into the cabin near the steering wheel?!?

Very very confusing especially considering a quality manufacturer like Koni and others just aren't able to take photos of each product. Hire a photographer damnit!

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion View Post
                    Has anyone seen the 1210 and 1021 side by side? Are they physically exactly the same, just valved differently?
                    When buying my 1021 a couple weeks ago (yellow TA for 51mm strut), I was also told that the 1210 wouldn't work without "changes to the suspension" probably meaning strut housing.

I also read that some guy had Konis in his E30 that had the adjustment knobs somehow prolonged into the cabin near the steering wheel?!?

Very very confusing especially considering a quality manufacturer like Koni and others just aren't able to take photos of each product. Hire a photographer damnit!

This is some info I found talking to a Koni rep.

I talked w/ a rep at Koni who was genuinely confounded and did not have an answer for me when I asked why there are different part numbers for different E30s, but gave me length and stiffness specs for the shocks.

8641 1021 / 80 2522:
                    485/614 mm compressed/expanded length
                    500/750 N compression/rebound stiffness

8641 1210 / 80 2641:
                    488/585 mm
                    700/750 N
                    So I don't know what the heck "changes to the suspension" means, but the 1210/2641 combo has stiffer damping and less travel. So overall rest length is shorter than the 1021/2522 combo, and fully compressed length is longer, so I think they are more designed for lowering springs, which may be the aforementioned "changes to the suspension".

Comment

Ok, I think I get it. If you put a much shorter spring on a shock, the "idle position" of the shock rod is also lowered and the motion track gets lowered too.
                      So on the 1210, the rod is shorter so that the idle position and motion track is similar to stock spring/shock specs, which I guess would prolong shock life span and help avoid bottoming out.

Comment

^^ That's a good take. It seems like the 1210 is the best option, barring the fact that some people say it doesn't fit....

Comment

Working...
                        X