Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E38 key problem. Dealership is railing me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E38 key problem. Dealership is railing me.

When I bought my 2001 740il I was given two regular keys and a plastic emergency key. Last month, a chip in one of the keys broke, and I guess it isn't sending a signal to the motor to start? I've been using the other set, but unfortunately I got stoned and lost them. How? I have no idea.

The stealership told me that they can only reproduce 10 keys per car per system, and that I'm on key 8 already. So if I replace these two keys, I'll be on key 10. He said after that, I need to have all the locks changed and have a bunch of shit reprogrammed, is this true? I feel like that's some lame shit BMW would do, but I also feel like they're full of shit. Two keys were $400, so I can't imagine what it would cost to change the locks and get new keys if I lose another set...

1. Get new keys.
    2. Don't get stoned.
    3. ??????????
    4. Profit?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
      1. Get new keys.
      2. Don't get stoned.
      3. ??????????
      4. Profit?
      This. Don't be stupid.
      M Coupe

Comment

Lol, I know I know. But seriously, has anyone heard of that 10 key rule?

And two sets over the past four years isn't that bad. It's just fucked it happened within a month of eachother.

Comment

Yeah,,, never lost a set of keys in 20 yrs,,, but then I dont do drugs. So yeah 2 sets in four years is rather pathetic,,,, I hope you keep better track of your wallett then you do car keys.

Just think of all the marijuana you could buy with the $400 your spending on keys.

Comment

Take the chip out, and glue it to the back of the glovebox, or something.
            '91 E30 316i
            '97 Rover Mini 1275

Comment

Originally posted by Rsully70sev View Post
              When I bought my 2001 740il I was given two regular keys and a plastic emergency key. Last month, a chip in one of the keys broke, and I guess it isn't sending a signal to the motor to start? I've been using the other set, but unfortunately I got stoned and lost them...

I stopped reading after that. BUT i've been there, I hope you have learned a lesson...hang them up FIRST next time ahahahaa.

Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
              Just think of all the marijuana you could buy with the $400 your spending on keys.
              -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Well, aren't you quite the saint Naples.

Comment

Yeah they only build like 10 keys per vehicle and they keep them in storage just in case you ever need to order one. it sounds crazy but its true. The EWS system will only allow a mx of 10 different keys to be paired to the system so yes after the 10th key, if you are that unlucky to lose that many keys, you will have to replace the ign. lock with a matching key and have it aligned to the EWS

Comment

Price sounds right. At Lexus it is 200/key and that includes programming, which the techs say reappraise take them a hour to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X