BMW N series Engines WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW N series Engines WTF?

Ok someone please school me on the reason for this. The only advantage I really see is a short valve stem giving less side loads on the valve guides for longer life.

sigpic

whats the question? changing the ratio for the rocker arm to change lift gets rid of a restriction (throttle body) and allows more control over the combustion process.

Comment

Oh I think I see I was wondering why there was an extra rocker arm. It seemed over engineered. But I think I understand that it is linked to the Variable Timing. Ok makes a bit more sense still seems alot more complicated then it needs to be.
      sigpic

Comment

Pretty =)
        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

"over engineered" thats BMW for you.

Comment

Seriously what was wrong with the VANOS in the S52? It was simple and worked.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
              it has nothing to do with the valve timing

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

My Multi car part out. Need a part? Pm me...
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=193051

Need 24v swap parts? How about a LSD? Plastic Bumpers? Or anything else click here...
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215044

Have you done business with me? If so leave me feedback here...
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=188307

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                  What was wrong with the M20? It was simple and worked too, but technology changes bro.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

We need to start putting these in e30s. They are light. Possibly the lightest 6 cylinder BMW has ever made?
                    Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                      We need to start putting these in e30s. They are light. Possibly the lightest 6 cylinder BMW has ever made?
                      LOL funny you say that I only came buy this cos I was looking at other 4 banger alternatives with all alloy construction e.g N46 and came across the N54 section at you see.
                      sigpic

Comment

I was referring to the N52 BTW, not the N54. N52 is lighter, it's all aluminum and magnesium.

Producing 63 kW (85.5 hp) per liter of displacement, it has the lowest weight per horsepower of any six cylinder engine (1.24 hp per kilogram with the latest version).

This would be cool in an e30. Never been done before from what I could find on the web so whoever does it can claim to be the first.
                        Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

subaru motor?

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                            I was referring to the N52 BTW, not the N54. N52 is lighter, it's all aluminum and magnesium.

This would be cool in an e30. Never been done before from what I could find on the web so whoever does it can claim to be the first.
                            No shit it is only 30kg more then a M42 . Well If I had one I would be happy to be the first. Though it would be on stand alone. Fuck trying to get the oem ecu to work.
                            sigpic

Comment

Valvetronic tech is pretty sweet. Throttle control using the valves instead of a butterfly. Direct injection is also very sweet.

Your standalone would cost alot as its gotta do alot of things that our basic standalones can't do right now...

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                              PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Working...
                              X