Engine prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine prices

Can everyone who did a motor swap, please tell me how much the engine cost. I am trying to decide what engine to swap into my car, and prices would be great.
    If anyone can tell me the general prices for an:
    m50tu
    alluminum block m52 (from z3)
    s50
    s52
    or any other engine.

Also I heard that it is costly to convert an OBD2 engine to OBD1, but can someone tell me about how much I should expect to spend converting the motor? Thanks a lot.

I converted an M52 to obd1, put in S52 cams, put on UUC pulleys, and got hooked up when it came to buying everything I needed.

I probably dropped down $3000-3500, and that was without installation. I got the engine, starter, manifold, wiring harness, and oil pan for $1600. $350 for cams, $400 for custom chip, $150 (I think) for ecu, $170 for pulleys, and then a shit load of other stuff from the dealership and local parts stores.

Comment

Well we did a m30 swap and it only cost us 2,000 with the motor mounts and exhaust. that was for a 1990 3.5lt and a 1987 535i tranny.

'87 325 (Track Rat)
      '04 C5500 Wrecker (Work)
      '94 525i (Daily)
      '90 325i (R.I.P)
      H&R Race, Racing Dynamics Sway Bars, Tree House CAB's, Sparco Strut Bars and more.

Comment

permit,
        How much power does your m52 have with those mods?

When converting to OBD1, what happend to the HP? does it rise, fall, stay the same? Which is better: an s50 or an OBD1 s52?

Keep posting engine prices, people. I know there are a ton of people out there that have done all of the different swaps.

Comment

As long as you tune it, you can gain a lot from converting an OBD2 engine to OBD1.
          OBD1 M52B28's with S52/aftermarket cams and tuning (along with stuff like HFM, bigger injectors, exhaust, etc) consistently make ~240whp. Of course the 2.8's low end isn't as good as the 3.2, but you can get comparable hp figures. Plus you can do it with the 40lbs lighter aluminum block from the Z3 2.8.

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
            permit,
            How much power does your m52 have with those mods?

When converting to OBD1, what happend to the HP? does it rise, fall, stay the same? Which is better: an s50 or an OBD1 s52?

Keep posting engine prices, people. I know there are a ton of people out there that have done all of the different swaps.
            Well, my engine wouldn't be making these numbers at the moment, but JasonH has the M52 as well with a 3.5" HFM and puts out 240-245 horses (S50 numbers). I have a bent valve, M50 exhaust manifolds, a broken vanos sender (so my vanos is always on, its not fun), and a 3" MAF. All of these are getting changed though, so I'll be putting out 240-245 as well in a couple months.

OBD1 S52 will slam you to your rear seat. OBDII=restrictions on a motor so that it doesn't perform too well...ie, BMW didn't want their 328i/528i/Z3s to be too burly.

Jason, mine, and soon Todd's engines are track motors...all about the high revs.

If you can find one and you have the money, do the S52 swap over the M52. Same goes for the S50 vs. M50.

Comment

Thanks for the info Permit.
              So converting an s52 to OBD1 will increase the power? interesting...
              What is a good price on an s52? I have my eye on one locally. It has about 80,000 miles. It comes with:
              "The motor is complete from the oil pan to the power steering pump, starter, alternator, ac compressor, wiring harness, and ecu."

What do you think is a good price for it?

Comment

$3000-4500. Low if the seller doesn't really know what he has. Higher if he wants to hold out and wait for someone with a thick wallet. I guess it depends on the supply/demand in your area. How often do 80K mile S52s come up for sale?
                You won't need the oil pan that comes with it. And plan on spending a bunch more converting it to OBD1

Comment

You don't need the oil pan (as stated), starter (assuming you use the almighty M20 tranny, then you'll need to buy an M20 flywheel as well), intake manifold, or wiring harness. Read the 44 page DOHC thread for a list of everything you'll need to convert to OBD1.

Comment

Originally posted by permit
                    You don't need the oil pan (as stated), starter (assuming you use the almighty M20 tranny, then you'll need to buy an M20 flywheel as well), intake manifold, or wiring harness. Read the 44 page DOHC thread for a list of everything you'll need to convert to OBD1.
                    Yeah, i know I wouldn't need all of the parts, such as oil pan and intake mani... i was just quoting him to find out how much it is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by permit
                      Jason, mine, and soon Todd's engines are track motors...all about the high revs.
                      haha, 'track motors' .... good one ;)

btw, S52 cams came in, now I just need them to be put in, timed, Vanos timed, then the m52 goes in the bay ....

back OT: Just remember when budgeting the project that a lot of the little nothing parts really add up. Look for engines that have hoses and accessories with them, and don't start with a bare block (like I did)
                      San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerToad
                        back OT: Just remember when budgeting the project that a lot of the little nothing parts really add up. Look for engines that have hoses and accessories with them, and don't start with a bare block (like I did)
                        I can vouch for that, spend that extra $500 or so and get the complete motor. It was a PITA to track that shit down.
                        91 m3

Comment

Working...
                        X