Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ran the M3 in the 1/4 mile, so close yet so far....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran the M3 in the 1/4 mile, so close yet so far....

Last night I decided to take my car to the track to see if I could pull off a 13 sec. run since I added the DSR 272 intake cam and VAC ported head, which resulted in a 20rwhp gain on the dynojet. I swapped on my stock 15"ers and set all 4 tires to 40psi and removed the spare and jack.
    The track I go to hooks extremely well so I was able to launch at 6000rpms on 40psi street tires by smoothly, yet quickly releasing the clutch. This resulted in a best of the night 1.97 60ft yielding a 14.004 @ 96.64mph...... a whole 0.005 from a 13 sec. run. :(
    I think I had a little bit left in the launch, as it bogged down slightly to 4krpms (below my peaky S14's powerband) but was not able to get another good launch in before the track closed. I took some videos of the runs with an 8mm camera so I'll convert them and post them later on.
    Previously I was able to run a 14.03 @ 96.2mph on a 1.93 60ft w/o the cam/headwork so I was somewhat dissappointed, but the weather was a bit better when I ran that, so I might try again if some better weather rolls in another time.

Still, not too shabby for a car not designed to drag race. ;)

timeslip pic

'05 E46 M3 Imolarot/Cinnamon - CURRENT
    '98 E36 M3 Estorilblau/Dove - SOLD
    '90 E30 M3 Brilliantrot/Black - SOLD
    SRS BSNS Motorsports - 24hrs of LeMons Racer

Awsome :up:. Congrats on the good time.
    2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Had you done anything before the head work?

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

Originally posted by MattE30
        Had you done anything before the head work?
        The only other engine mod I had before the the cam/headwork was a GIAC chip.

Comment

mmm interesting, since I'm in the world of Jeeps too....in the Jeep board, I saw many Grand Cherokees 5.9L Limited edition, with just some bolt on upgrades making low 13 secs...not much different from this M3, but well, the BMW or standard BMW's are made for high speeds! MOSTLY!
          Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Wow, great launch and great 1/8th mile time! 14.004 is a great et for your mph. The car seems to be laying down on the top end. Are you shifting into 4th gear just before the end of the 1/4 mile? The car should run a couple more mph in the 1/4.
            Todd
            1985 euro 535i turbo
            13.57 @ 109mph
            TCD
            1985 euro 535i
            503rwhp/485rwtq

Comment

lower the rear tire pressure to around 25-28 psi so you can launch harder at a higher rpm without spinning to much.

Comment

Originally posted by precision tuner
                lower the rear tire pressure to around 25-28 psi so you can launch harder at a higher rpm without spinning to much.

I had zero wheelspin on my best launches actually, that is why I kept the tire pressure up in the rears. Traction was not an issue at all, only working the clutch right to keep the revs up so the engine wouldn't bog down. Once I find a place to host some of the videos, I'll post them up.

Comment

Working...
                X