Acetone as a Fuel Additive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acetone as a Fuel Additive

I recently came across a website called AddAcetone.com that is about how adding 3-4oz of 100% pure Acetone per 10 gallons for gasoline can improve your gas mileage up to 22% and help your car run smoother. So I decided to test it out. Bought a 16oz bottle of Acetone from Wal-Mart for $1.96 and here's the results so far.

For the time being I've added 2.5 oz to every 10 gallons in my 87 325i, my 02 Mitsu Galant, and my girlfriend's 03 Corolla. My buddy started 2 weeks before I did in his 94 325i.

2002 Mitsu Galant:

Runs alot smoother and the engine actually runs a little more quietly and it's not just me. My roomate even commented on how quiet my valves were and he had no idea I put Acetone in my gas.

2003 Corolla

My girlfriend called today to tell me should could tell a difference in mileage just by the amount of gas she had. Today is the day she is usually on empty and ready to refill and she has not yet reached 1/4th tank.

87 325i

Don't really drive enough to know if it's made a difference in mileage. I usually only drive it in the city and the OBC reads 24mpg but the engine does run alot smoother though I'm convinced nothing will keep it quiet.

94 325i

He claims his inner city driving in Knoxville went from 19mpg to 24mpg per the OBC and the car does run slightly better most of the difference is felt in the throttle response.
    Last edited by RobertK; 10-18-2005, 02:07 PM.

does anyone know what the long term effects of acetone are on fuel system components? If they aren't too serious, short of car blowing up and rotting fuel lines and fouling the plugs/injectors I may just try this.

Comment

My largest concern would be that acetone breaks down oil, and some of the fuel is eventually going to leak past the rings and wash down the cylinder walls. If it made it into the pan that would be a bad situation. Granted, that is a small dose.

Comment

If you read on the website the guy who supports adding Acetone to all fuel has been using it in all his vehicles for the past 20 years and has claimed to soak entire car parts in Acetone for months and years to see if they deteriorate at all.

The way it works is it kinda acts like a "Water Wetter" only for fuel. It breaks down the surface tension of the gas molecules to make it easier to vaporize thus more fuel is burned and less is wasted through your tail pipe.

The only major concern is that you do not want to get Acetone on your paint job else it will strip it off.

Comment

I would be concerned if I had not learned that Acetone is one of the main ingrediants in alot of popular fuel additives since it also acts as an octane booster.
          Last edited by Bimmerfanatik; 10-22-2005, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
            I would be concerned if I had not learned that Acetone is one of the main ingrediants in alot of popular fuel additives since it also acts as an octane booster.
            I'm sorry, but there is one line in your initial post which points out how succeptable to the "Placebo effect" you really are. Allow me to quote it for you:

Runs alot smoother and the engine actually runs a little more quietly and it's not just me. My roomate even commented on how quiet my valves were and he had no idea I put Acetone in my gas

Last edited by Bimmerfanatik; 10-22-2005, 10:52 AM.
            Below the radar...

Comment

thats an old trick used with the muscle cars. my dad told me that he used it with his boss 302 back in the day, but with a twist. Dump the washer fluid, fill it with acetone and hook the line into the intake bellows. Works like an octain booster.

I think it would break down fuel lines if it were left in gas, i remember someone posting this somewhere... it breaks it down faster, but if mixed correctly it dosent hurt fuel line at a noticable rate

Originally posted by vlad
              Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

What's the math on how much octane it adds to fuel? I know most bottles of octane booster only add about .1 to .3 octane, which is a joke.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

You're only supposed to add 3-4 oz per 10 gallons. That's not very much and 100% Acetone does not break down fuel lines.

UNHCLL - Regardless of what you think all I can say is try to prove me wrong because there alot more people proving me right at this point. I have some left over fuel line hose and I'll be sure to soak it for however long you desire to prove it will not break down in Acetone much less a very small mixture in gasoline.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
                    You're only supposed to add 3-4 oz per 10 gallons. That's not very much and 100% Acetone does not break down fuel lines.

UNHCLL - Regardless of what you think all I can say is try to prove me wrong because there alot more people proving me right at this point. I have some left over fuel line hose and I'll be sure to soak it for however long you desire to prove it will not break down in Acetone much less a very small mixture in gasoline.
                    Explain to me, how adding a fuel additive, to a closed fuel loop system will quiet your valves.

This, I must know.

Thank you,
                    Below the radar...

Comment

ive seen atleast one that does +0.7... NAWS RAZ formula
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Well I just read the web site and they seem to not really know what it makes anything better. They don't know if it adds octane or not. They guess that it cleans the engine out. Why not just run a can of sea foam through your car to clean out your carbon deposits?

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                          Explain to me, how adding a fuel additive, to a closed fuel loop system will quiet your valves.

This, I must know.

Thank you,
                          +1

RISING EDGE

Comment

I used the wrong term.. more along the lines of quieted existing pinging not the valves my bad.

+1

Comment

What mods do you have to your car? It shouldn't be pinging. Sounds like you have bigger fish to fry.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Working...
                              X