Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring back the E30! Or will the 1 Series do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bring back the E30! Or will the 1 Series do?

Alright, maybe not. But it would be cool if BMW updated the E30 and re-released it.

Today's BMWs are just plain too heavy (except the CSL). It's not the same. If there are tons of us addicted to E30s, some of us who could get new BMWs, it goes to show what truy a great car the E30 is.

I know BMW won't do it. But I think they should. Maybe in 10 years they might have the courage to do it....after I send my 1,000th email to them. I mean, look at the Mini Cooper, for two reasons. One, it's light, it is fun to drive and pretty sporty. Secondly, it was a classic and they redesigned it and people bought it up. They are so popular, people love them like they did in the old days, and love them becasue of what they are now.

I shouldn't write this thread without mentioning the 2002 or the 3.0CSL. If I write bring back the E30, people will obviously write 2002 reborn. From the reviews and watching Top Gear, it is clear that BMW has gotten back to the heart with the new CSL. Light, diehard sports car that is all business. It's badass. It is inspired by a classic. :)

But think of what a great car BMW could make with current technology and the general idea of the E30. Doesn't the new 5 use aluminum frame like Audi has had for a couple years? I hear the new 5ers are lighter than the E39. Anyway, with an aluminum frame, updated suspension, and better aerodynamics, the E30 v2.0 would be awesome. Not to forget the advances the engine could have. Just stick an aluminum block 2.5 in there. It'd be sick! :shock:

My new E30 would have the four headlights, similar grill, slightly taller door and proportionally shorter windows. The boxy shape would be rounded a lil for aerodynamics, but not lose the overall appearance. (Like the new Ford Mustang, they update the look and performance, but the look is a throw-back to the original.) Maybe 16x7.5 wheels stock.

And think of the motorsport possibilities. For example, the Acuras have the advantage of less weight in Speed World Channel. Have a BMW 3 series with less weight, damn. It'd be killer. 8)

I'm rambling on......oh well. All our E30s are getting older, with more creaks and shutters. It'd be awesome if BMW did to the E30 what they did to the Cooper. They'd sell like hot cakes.

Meh, I'm not a fan of the 1 series. It might be what BMW needs......but I'd much more like a modern E30. We were talking this at the last BMWCCA meeting. The E46 is as heavy as the 5ers used to be. :roll: I dunno. What you guys think?

It's called the one series, it will be out at the end of this year.

-Charlie
    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
    FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
      It's called the one series, it will be out at the end of this year.

-Charlie
      Originally posted by rwh11385
      Meh, I'm not a fan of the 1 series. It might be what BMW needs......but I'd much more like a modern E30.

The one series looks nothing like an E30. Frankly, I think it looks like shit. Might as well put a Hyundai bagde on the front of that ugly fuck.

Comment

A very long time ago, www.supercars.net said in a recent news clip from somewhere in Germany, that they were going to remake the E30 M3. Sadly, that site is totally unreliable for news regarding cars, as they also said the M7 (based of the new 7) was to appear at the end of 2002.

We can only hope!
        Reminiscing...

Comment

I like the one series. *ducks*

I doubt there will be a remake because its a series 2 of the 300 class of automoblies. That makes it both standard and common. Youd be just as likely to see Ford re-release the Fox body mustang. Well, bad analogy.

A 02 would be possible, it would be mainly a rebirth of the badge though. I doubt it would look anything like an original 02.

I say make an Isetta. I could use one on campus as long as it had heat and I could park in the motorcycle spots.
          Im now E30less.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
            I like the one series. *ducks*

I doubt there will be a remake because its a series 2 of the 300 class of automoblies. That makes it both standard and common. Youd be just as likely to see Ford re-release the Fox body mustang. Well, bad analogy.

A 02 would be possible, it would be mainly a rebirth of the badge though. I doubt it would look anything like an original 02.

I say make an Isetta. I could use one on campus as long as it had heat and I could park in the motorcycle spots.
            The 1 series doesn't really fit my dream. But maybe it will be a light and fun BMW. I don't hate it, so no flames against it. Just I think it'd be tight to have an E30 new.

haha Isetta, isn't that Steve Urkel's ride?

Anyway:
            "In the late 60s we had the 2002 compact sport sedan. And we're going back to that segment," he said, declining to specify when the 1 Series would be launched in Asia.

BMW says the introduction of the 1 Series was part of the group's strategy to expand its market segments and not rely solely on its long-established 3, 5 and 7 series models. The German carmaker launched the 6 Series Coupe and X3 compact sport-utility vehicle at the Frankfurt Motor Show earlier this month.

While it is still unknown whether the M division will tune one engine for fitment into all models (cabrio, coupe, hatch and sedan) or whether they'll just offer a coupe, information has been leaked from BMW that the hi-po M1 running gear will include a 2.0-litre engine making more than 180kW.

It's doubtful that even the bright sparks at BMW can make a naturally aspirated 2000cc mill with that much power, and it would be fair to say that turbocharging will be the order of the day for the light-weight M1.
            I dunno. I've seen a lil on the 1 series. But looking more now. Rumors of 240hp "M1" which would be a major mistake to name it that.......

Time to change the name of the thread.

Comment

fans of the real mini cooper arent automatically in love with the new one.

There is honestly not one new car available today that I wouldn't rather have an older car...*shrug*
              BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
                I wouldn't mind having basically a supped up golf cart with BMW plastered all over it. Like in Van Wilder... but with a more "Euro" style. 8)

BMW should re-make a lot of old models: E30, E34, and E38s are the best looking examples of each series in my opinion. Bring back their basic design and cram them with the incredible new technologies of today (but still keeping the weight down) and I'd have no complaints. Reviving the 8-series would also be cool, as long as Bangle wasn't involved :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by Rob

There is honestly not one new car available today that I wouldn't rather have an older car...*shrug*
                  True, but there are many.

Two cars for me: Porsche 911 GT2 and the 360 Modena Challenge Stradale! :twisted: The newer versions just because they are so damn sexy. The 993 would be fine by me if someone handled me the keys however!

BMW should re-make a lot of old models: E30, E34, and E38s are the best looking examples of each series in my opinion. Bring back their basic design and cram them with the incredible new technologies of today (but still keeping the weight down) and I'd have no complaints. Reviving the 8-series would also be cool, as long as Bangle wasn't involved
                  My thoughts exactly. :up:

Comment

Are there any more pictures of the One Series floating around? I dig it. :D
                    Originally posted by Gruelius
                    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                      Are there any more pictures of the One Series floating around?
                      There was one in a magazine a few months ago...
                      Looks like competition for Audi A3/VW Golf. The 1-series will supposedly get 1.8L and 2.0L 4-bangers - aiming more for style and efficiency, not power or true luxury.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rob

All I have to say...Golf MKII GTi over a MKIII, IV, or even that new one coming out. I'd take an older Mercedes 190 16v over any new one, and an Audi GT over some newer ones, although the new S4 I would buy in a heartbeat.

Like wine, it gets better with age. Dumb analogy I know. :roll:
                          Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by M42Tecknik
                            All I have to say...Golf MKII GTi
                            HELL YES! :D :D
                            Originally posted by Gruelius
                            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                              Originally posted by M42Tecknik
                              All I have to say...Golf MKII GTi
                              HELL YES! :D :D