No announcement yet.

better daily driver? M20b27 or M40/M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i usually hit the on ramp at around 60-65 and im well up to speed by the time i hit the freeway opening
    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
    Got Drop?? ;-)
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    But of course
    E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
      is anyone else irritated by the fact that there is 6 votes for something else, yet nobody has mentioned what that something else is.
      I did. You just didn't take notice.

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
      M20 is M20 is M20. They're awful little motors. M30B35s are fantastic for daily drivers.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
        i was considering a M30 swap until i found out how good (read: terrible) its fuel economy is
        Don't believe everything you read. You will get about the same mpg as a m20b25.
        From http://www.fueleconomy.gov
        1989 e30 325i (m20b25) - 16 city, 22 highway
        1989 e34 535i (m30b35) - 14 city, 21 highway
        Only a $400 difference in annual fuel cost if you drive 15,000 miles per year!
        The difference will be even closer or in favor of the m30 when you consider that the e30 weighs so much less. The difference in the differential you're using or keeping your tire pressure to spec makes more of a difference than the 1-2 MPG we're talking about here.
        Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
          Don't believe everything you read. You will get about the same mpg as a m20b25.
          From http://www.fueleconomy.gov
          1989 e30 325i (m20b25) - 16 city, 22 highway
          1989 e34 535i (m30b35) - 14 city, 21 highway
          Only a $400 difference in annual fuel cost if you drive 15,000 miles per year!
          The difference will be even closer or in favor of the m30 when you consider that the e30 weighs so much less. The difference in the differential you're using or keeping your tire pressure to spec makes more of a difference than the 1-2 MPG we're talking about here.
          BAM! Education.

I was kicking out about 25mpg in my B35 swapped e28....when I drove like a normal jackass, and not a hoon.
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I have to admit I'm a huge fan of my eta. When I was driving about 180 miles/day at an average of 75mph, I was getting just about 42-44mpg on flat roads. Plenty of power to pass, responsive enough to be enjoyable. I know there is a lot of eta hate out there, but they are great for a daily driver.

I currently drive the piss out of my car everywhere I go and have a much shorter commute, which is why my mpg has gone down significantly (see sig).

Comment

I have had both. the E is a great dd car and i miss it sometimes but i have alot more fun in my 318is. I drive the 318is like i stole it, and still get great gas mileage. I had read all the hate on the m42 before i bought this car and was planning on immediately swapping it but it was soo much fun that i have postponed the swap.
              Originally posted by blunttech
              Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
              :shock:

Comment

I am loving my m42!!!!
                I was scared about buying th 4 after having m20s, but all the revving and momentum maintenance is just so much fun... The sport seats, short shifter, fresh rubber, and 2drs are also contributing factors, but again, I am loving Rosie on the daily commute.

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

God this thread almost makes me wish I had a b27 instead of a b25
                  ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
                  I need you to exfoliate my ballsack
                  Build Thread?

Comment

M42Power.

First off, only E30's I've driven are my 318is and two different Eta's.

That being said, both Eta's felt super fucking slow like I floor it and nothing happens... I was expecting to actually have some pull out of first but neither did, one was totally stock beautiful shape low mileage and slow as hell. The other had a real nice exhaust system and was in great shape felt a little better but then I got back in my 318is and the shackles broke.

All that being said, the M42 needs to be driven if you want to drive, but many others have more experience with E30's.

I just love mine
                    Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPotter View Post
                      I have never driven an m42 but i have driven an eta and it has kind of that vw bus thing going on the onramp trying to get to speed.
                      This is bull, I dd my eta and getting onto the highway/overtaking is no problem. You just need a markD chip and cojones of brass. I can't speak as to m42 dd-ability as I've only driven one around the block. I like the torque though(b27), as others have said, I'm used to the sixes and will probably stick with them.
                      Last edited by shaferbm; 10-22-2013, 07:54 PM.

-'87 325 - ratbox swap http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...77#post3250277 << Check out my Wanted thread

Comment

Jeez - old thread bump. Also - this poll is inherently flawed for lumping the M40 and M42 together. I'd definitely take an M42 over an eta, but I don't want anything to do with an M40.
                        diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

although the eta is slower than the b25, its definitely got some pep. I love the torque for onramps
                          2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                          (Daily Driver)
                          Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                          KW V2 Coilovers
                          VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Seeing as it's already bumped, having DD'd an M42, a B27, and a B25. With my B25 over 500k now, It's M20 hands down for me.

The B25 is more fun than the M42 on the straights, and after the apex. And lasts a hell of a lot longer doing so. The B27 isn't much farther behind the B25 when it has a chip for fun factor.

Need to do an iSETA. I think that would be my happyland N/A m20.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

I dd an eta which is nice and reliable. But I do miss my 91 318i. It's a nice revving engine that is more fun to drive and gets better mpg. And that's coming from a huge fan of m20s
                              r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

Working...
                              X