Almost got r3v'ed today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost got r3v'ed today.

Just a little shaken. Finished my 24v swap this past weekend and have been in the process of taking small shake-down trips. Everything went well. Bled down the ABS by cycling the solonoids. I decided to take it on her maiden voyage and drive her to work.

At 7am, pulled out onto a local 3 lane road and started to hustle through morning traffic. I was following a semi truck in the center lane by roughly 5 car lengths at 45-50mph. Suddenly the ****** locked up his brakes and started to swing across the center and right lane. I swerved right with him , but he was completely stopped like a wall in front of me. ABS kicked in and brought me to a stop a couple of feet from his trailer.

Ends up he got cut off by a SUV who could not see around him. Holy fucking shit. My mind couldn't stop racing between not dying and all the hours on the swap wasted. :rofl:

Cliffs: Keep that ABS working folks.

M52B28 OBD1 - G240 - S4.10
    Stuff for Sale: 24v swap parts

How did they not see a semitruck?

Comment

glad your ok, just lost my swap car to an accident, i know the feeling.

fyi: the abs made your stop distance worse. it saved your tires, though.

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post

Not if he would of locked up his tires without it.

Locked up tires will not stop you fast at all.

Comment

^In what way? If he had just locked up the brakes he would have slid.

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post

Very sorry to hear that. While braking, my brain was determining how much of the engine bay was going to be impacted.

I don't think so. It was true panic braking. ABS kept the tires from locking and I was able to steering away from the rear end of the trailer.

M52B28 OBD1 - G240 - S4.10
            Stuff for Sale: 24v swap parts

Comment

Originally posted by rightcoastbias View Post
              ABS kept the tires from locking and I was able to steering away from the rear end of the trailer.
              This. ABS is more about maintaining control of the car.

Skid, you have no control.
              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

That could have been a terrible day; glad you and the car made it o-k!
                sigpic'87 335i

Comment

With the E30's inherent front brake bias, the muti-channel ABS actually helps the car stop better (in my experience, generally on race brakes).

Glad you saved it!
                  sigpic
                  -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

shit....
                    Last edited by CarsSuck; 07-18-2012, 10:19 AM.
                    --Will

Comment

Originally posted by CarsSuck View Post
                      Quoted for idiocy
                      I think he meant to point to the post by straight6. Look at the post times of his and 10Toes, they're very close.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

This reminds me of a night i went with my brother and some friends on a night drive. We were all on an entrance ramp when we each took turns doing a hard launch. I was the last to go and i spun the wheels through 2nd. I assumed everyone had entered the highway and were pacing, but the leader decided to slow down and wait for people to catch up while still on the entrance ramp. An other person pulled next to him, which blocked most of the road. Well here comes my ass barreling down the entrance going almost 100 when i see them at a dead stop. I slammed on the brakes as hard as i could and let the ABS do the work. Luckly i barely had enough space to squeeze by while i was stopping.
                        Fucking dumbasses.
                        Last time i went on a drive with them...
                        I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

Working...
                        X