What is an E30 worth parted out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is an E30 worth parted out?

Let's say its a late model plastic bumper convertible. Everything is in good shape except the top. Power top still works but the canvas is toast.

Mileage is sub 100k on original M20 with 5 speed and 3.73 LSD

AC works

All body panels are straight and have good original paint.

Interior is good with exception of the normal rear convertible seat rip, and this one is minor.

I'm wondering if it is worth more in parts than as a whole. For those of you that have parted an E30, what do you think I could get in parts?
    The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

motor-3-400
    5sp swap- 4-500
    interior front seats 200+ rear seat around 100
    ac stuff hit or miss couple hundred if someone needs it
    plastic bumpers 2-300
    top-300
    lights 150
    tail lights 100

all in all you should be 1500-2000 AFTER scraping the the car.

e30 partouts are not big money

Comment

You can get a bit, but it's work. The main thing is gonna be the driveline, that'll be worth around 800+. I'd say it's better to sell things cheap and get rid of them, rather than price things higher and sit on them for a long time. After about 3 weeks of selling stuff, my dad and I have made around 1300 in parts. We also kept a TON of stuff (uncracked dash, springs/shocks, top, windows, wheels--easily another $6-700 worth of parts). I'd say we can probably still pull a few hundred out of it without too much effort, on top of getting a ton of free parts in the bargain.
      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

what's wrong with it other than a bad top? Sell it to somebody who can enjoy it, because imo it doesn't sound like a car that should be parted out.

Comment

thats the other thing, TIME is a killer, most people have lives, i for one count my time as money, so when me and ill4noreason would do this, it was called "pull as much as we can as fast as we can, scrap the car"
          quick work, quick return, goal was to strip the car in three days and have it scrapped in a week

Comment

Let me know if you do part it out.
            89 325 cabrio in progress m52tub28 swap
            99 540it
            86 Volvo 240 wagon
            99 Cherokee
            13 Passat

Comment

Car only has 70k on it and nothing is wrong, but I want the 5spd swap, dash and a few other small parts for my other car.

Comment

Originally posted by devon.818 View Post
                thats the other thing, TIME is a killer, most people have lives, i for one count my time as money, so when me and ill4noreason would do this, it was called "pull as much as we can as fast as we can, scrap the car"
                quick work, quick return, goal was to strip the car in three days and have it scrapped in a week
                You can fucking tear one down in a day alone. My brother and I gut one down bare in 5 hours.

IMO it is easy money.
                ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                ~ '87 535
                ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by P.Kelly View Post
                  Car only has 70k on it and nothing is wrong, but I want the 5spd swap, dash and a few other small parts for my other car.
                  Part outs should be reserved for cars that have something MAJOR wrong with them, such as a worthless engine or a bent frame. Parting out a working car just because you want a few things off it is absurd.
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Why would you want to part out a sub 100k mile late model vert, that's in good condition aside from the top? No title? (that's the only reason, and you probably can get one).
                    I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                    Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

When I was doing 1800-2300 for I/IS and about 3000-3400 for IX's With solid IX specific parts
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                        Part outs should be reserved for cars that have something MAJOR wrong with them, such as a worthless engine or a bent frame. Parting out a working car just because you want a few things off it is absurd.
                        Perhaps, but that isn't what I asked.

Originally posted by CrusherCurtis View Post
                        Why would you want to part out a sub 100k mile late model vert, that's in good condition aside from the top? No title? (that's the only reason, and you probably can get one).
                        It has a clean title. I just happen to have acquired another E30 that I want to keep and need some parts.

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        When I was doing 1800-2300 for I/IS and about 3000-3400 for IX's With solid IX specific parts
                        If it's only worth ~2K in parts then I'm better off to sell the car and find the parts elsewhere, but where am I going to find sub 100k transmission and differential?

As I wrote above, I want the transmission, drive shaft and rear end, plus the dash and a few other parts for another car. I want low mileage drivetrain components, not somebody's 200k tranny that grinds and leaks. If I can find all of that locally without a bigger hassle than parting this one out, then I'll do that. I asked the question to see if such a car was worth more as parts or as a whole. It sounds like it may be worth more as a whole, but then I need to factor in my time and the cost of finding and removing all the parts I need from someone else's car, as well as the hassle of doing a 5spd swap when I don't have access to the donor car.

Comment

Seriously don't part it out.
                          Originally posted by F34R View Post
                          You can fucking tear one down in a day alone. My brother and I gut one down bare in 5 hours.

IMO it is easy money.
                          You guys must be beasts at ripping apart e30's. We pulled the driveline in around 4 hours, and that was just the driveline. Eric's done it quite a few times too. I've put a couple hours ripping apart the interior too. The most time consuming part is dealing with paypal, buyers, and shipping everything.

And OP, it's gonna be MUCH less of a hassle to just buy those parts. None of us can tell you what to do, but you really shouldn't destroy a 70k convertible for a transmission.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                          2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

I put the car up for sale, so we'll see how that goes... I ran through everything and figure conservatively, since everything is there, that parting out would net closer to 3-4K easily including scrap value on the shell.

Comment

parting out would net closer to 3-4K easily
                              That could be true for everything but the last word. Getting 4k parting out a car will be a lot of work. You'll have to market every part extremely well, clean everything extensively, and have service like blunt. You can sell many things easily and quickly, but you'll still have hundreds of dollars worth of stuff left over that may not be as easy to sell as you assume.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X