X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Needed - Potential e30s

EDIT**
    New question:
    Purpose for my e30: Daily Driver, small project car, to learn more about cars and how to mechanically fix them myself. An all show cruiser more than a potential AutoX or Track car.

2 options given that the white vert below is out of my reach.

1st option is a 1988 325i Vert, 2 owners, clean titled with only 180K miles. Pretty much 8/10 in terms of cosmetic. I'm sure I have to do preventative maintenance but that's a given. Only repair needed right off the bat is to recharge the AC. It's a vert, so not a big deal. Asking price $2400.

Second option is a 1984 325e Coupe. 4 owners with 240K. Plus side of this particular car, the current owner did A LOT of maintenance. Maintenance ranging from brake pads, rotors, water pump, thermostat, even lowered with Bilstien sport suspension. Little extras including aftermarket head unit and speakers. This car has also been professional re painted a custom blue. The bad side to it, no A/C, broken and will need a full service job, cracked dash, cluster is a bit damaged. Asking price $2600. I'm sure he spent about $1000 or so in parts and especially if I count labor.

Out of the two above, which would you go for? The supposed unmolested faster 6 cylinder 325i is a bonus, but then again is a vert versus a coupe. There's also the fact that I'll be spending around $1000 to bring the 325i vert to the 325e coupe's level in terms of maintenance.

Old question:
    SO...been lurking and trolling everything to find my e30 DD. Found a possible match, 88 325i 5 Speed white vert.

160K miles
    Clean Carfax
    Good compression on engine
    Passed smog
    Pretty much good all around 8/10 both cosmetically and mechanically.

Asking price is $3000. Is this fair or should I haggle it down to $2500?
    Last edited by 2ndName; 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM. Reason: New questions

never hurts to try I would sounds like a nice car!

Comment

Send us photos!
      This thread is no good without photos!
      -Art

Comment

Pics? Rust? Records? Mods? Wheels?

Comment

I have not seen it yet. Tomorrow after work but want to get my ducks in order before I lowball the owner.

No rust, straight body, no mods, original. Oh yeah, 1 owner, being sold by the original owner.

Comment

bring 2,500 cash
            Ask him what maintenance.
            look for leaks
            check coolant to make sure looks normal
            check oil
            ask if he replaced timing belt,brake fluid flush,coolant flush,calipers,rotors,is valve adjustment,power steering rack,power steering pump,water pump,spark plugs,wires,clutch,throw out bearing,cats,muffler,shocks,motor mounts,all bushings,check dash for cracks ,diff,everything you think of if he did everything 3k no questions.
            He will see you know what you are talking about.He will think about all the money you will need to put in it some day.Thats how he will come down on price.You do this? do that?You have all documents.weaken him suck the life out of him until he begs you to take it for 2,500 plus thats a fair price.I'm a cheap shit when I want to be I be looking for a 800-2k one. Best to you

Comment

Nice. That's some very helpful advice! Thank you Carfantiti!

Comment

Patiently awaiting your findings on this car. I'm somewhat in the same boat as you and have found a similar car (but in my area) for the same price. Good luck with your negotiations!

Comment

Originally posted by mikracer View Post
                  Patiently awaiting your findings on this car. I'm somewhat in the same boat as you and have found a similar car (but in my area) for the same price. Good luck with your negotiations!

Ooo, do share when you're in the negotiation process. Can't wait for you to find the car. Good luck.

Comment

did you see the car?

Comment

Originally posted by carfantiti View Post
                      did you see the car?
                      Yes, freaking mint. Unfortunately the guy that's selling it owns a 5 star yelp auto shop so I can't just jump over the 2 other guys ahead of me due to his rep.

Basically, bone stock 1988 white convertible. 1 owner. It is what it is, was not meant to be.

Comment

Revised my original questions to 2 potentials that have popped up.

Comment

I would go with the vert. Less miles and probably more desirable if you ever need to sell it.

Comment

vert all the way

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                            Bluebird Bus Conversion
                            New Oregon Trail

Comment

Don't rush. You live in CA, there are so many E30s over there it's unreal.

I'd drop no more than $27.55 for the vert. If I thought E30s were acceptable as verts then I'd drop no more than $2000 for the condition described. Forget that Eta, you can do better for cheaper.

Good luck.
                              Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Working...
                              X